Scratch Build – In Progress Scratch Build – Custom Aluminum Case

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jack´s, 6 Mar 2016.

1. Jack´s

Jack´s What's a Dremel?

Hi guys!! All the time I was searching some good cases to build what it is for me the perfect chassis for the perfect system. I never found anything that I really like it so I bought the Nzxt H440 chasis and I built there my first Watercooled system. I was happy but I knew that the case was not what I was searching so I decided to start learning how to use Solidworks. With the help of some friends in the work I finally started to manage the program quite well so was time to start using the knowledge that I gain to make the perfect case.

I wanted something quiet but at the same time something stylish and unique. So I started sketching and drawing at work until I found a design that was nice to me and how I wanted to be.
    The materials are going to be aluminum 1,5mm and 2mm for the chassis, fan holder, ssd, hhd, and the side windows made of tempered glass 2-3mm.
    I wanted a dual chamber case to be able to separate the main parts where I would install the motherboard, watercooling components and fans and the other parts where will be the ssd, hhd, power supply and the LED system.

Specifications:

• (HxDxW): 450*490*290
    • Weight : 4.5 kg
    • Material: 1,5 mm and 2mm aluminum
    • Color: Black anodized sandblasted
    • Ssd: 4
    • Hhd: 2 – 4

So I Already send the Cad files to a manufacture and meanwhile you read the case is being cut and bend. Hope they will send it to me at the end of this week so I can start to test fit all the components and start building my new system

Here are some renders of the case!! Let me know what do you think about it

Side view with Tempered glass side panel
    [​IMG]

Side view without Tempered glass side panel
    [​IMG]

Psu side panel
    http://i.imgur.com/Q8nvlIQ.jpg

Psu without side panel
    [​IMG]

Pci bracket
    [​IMG]

Front of the case with 3x120mm fans
    http://i.imgur.com/jCtaK2K.jpg

Top panel with 3x120mm fans 2x Vandal switch and usb 3.0
    [​IMG]

Isometric view of the case
    [​IMG]

Isometric back view of the case
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Mar 2016
  2. Jack´s

Jack´s What's a Dremel?

Yesterday the manufacturer send me this photo!! The case is already cut and they will bend it ASAP. Hope to have it at the end of the week. Also some goddies from Aquacomputer and from Do it youself sleeve need to arrive soon!!

Here is the case without bends
    [​IMG]

3. Jack´s

Jack´s What's a Dremel?

So guys!! Finally the case is done. They just need to sand down to take out the scratches sand blasted and anodize the panels and it will be ready to go. I was worring about that the holes will not match but as I see everything is perfect. They will make the QC before anodizing just in case they need to modify something but as he told me everything is perfect.

The components of aquacomputer are in the transit zone and are almost in Beijing, so I hope the next week i can start doing the test fit and check if everything match perfectly. Also some component from Do it yourself sleeve are in transit zone so i will start making this weekend all the cables.

Here you have some photos!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looks like there's a lot of bent corners in the pics. :worried: That gap in the front panel is troubling too.

5. Jack´s

Jack´s What's a Dremel?

Yes!! The top panel has two bent corners!! Yesterday I spoke with the manufacturer and he will try to fix it, if not they will make other panel. In this life everything can be fixed :rock:
    Today arrived the component fro aquacomputer and the sleeving from Do it yourself sleeve. I will post photos as soon as i have time to arrange the components.

6. Jack´s

Jack´s What's a Dremel?

Little big update!! So today I received the light and white background so I was able to take photos of the components.
    I already received from Aquacomputer (D5 pump, 450 ml aqualis reservoir, d5 pump mount for aqualis reservoir with fill sensor, aquaero 5 Lt, farbwerk for the LED, cables and other staff).

From Mayhems (Mayhems Blitz Pro, UV Clear Blue Dye x2, Pastel Extreme White and X1 UV Clear Blue Concentrate)

From Do it yourself modding (Economic Package Black Carbon) and I also add some extra length of sleeve just in case.

Here in China I bought 60m of 18 awg silver plated, atx pins, sata, molex etc…

I also received a custom acrylic plate to make the Sata and 4 pin molex conexion better and be able to add the sleeve to the cables.

About the case they will send it tomorrow so hope that for this weekend I will be able to start test fitting everything and start putting all the component inside.

Here are some photos:

Aquacomputer components
    [​IMG]
    Aquaero 5 LT and D5 pump
    [​IMG]
    D5 pump adapter and Farbwerk
    [​IMG]
    Aqualis Reservoir and Black Carbon Sleeve
    [​IMG]
    Macro Shot!!
    [​IMG]

Sleeving components
    [​IMG]
    Crimper, sleeve, pins, connector, wire... I have some job to do.....biggrin.gif
    [​IMG]
    Gold plated Atx pins, Black Carbon Sleeve, 18 awg silver plated, 24, 10, 14, 6 and 8 pin conector
    [​IMG]
    Black carbon Sleeve (I REALLY like this sleeve)
    [​IMG]
    Acrylic sheet for Sata and 4 pin molex coectors with the sticky paper
    [​IMG]
    It will really help me to do the sleeving in the conectors. I would like to make it heatshrinkless if is possible... haha
    [​IMG]
    Different distances to be able to use it according to my SSD, HHD
    [​IMG]
    Without the ugly brown paper
    [​IMG]

Mayhems Components

From left to right: (X1 UV Clear Blue Concentrate, Mayhems Blitz Pro, UV Clear Blue Dye x2 and Pastel Extreme White)
    [​IMG]

So guys!! Let me know what you think!!! Hope you like it..:rock::rock:

7. Jack´s

Jack´s What's a Dremel?

o guys!! Minor update!! I already received the soldering iron that I bought this weekend and also I have good and bad news about the case.

Good News is hat is already on the way home. The bad news is that to make it Black anodized I need to wait 15 more days and im a bit tired of waiting and waiting.

So they guy send me a photo of a anodized clear and i like it even more than black, so they Anodized Clear and it´s on their way home.

Here is the photo that the guy sent me this afternoon
    [​IMG]
    This is a fast render that i made at job using Keyshots of how will look in Clear anodized
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like now more the combination of the black components, and the clear anodized aluminum

I was thinking about using clear petg tubbing, but with the new change of the color of the case maybe i will use copper cromed tube. Also i was thinking about buying the Kryos XT from Aquacomputer because can look so damm good...

What so you think guys??:read::read::rock::rock::thumb:

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Anodized clear.. Is that like the Emperor's new clothes? :worried:
    The PETG would be a lot easier to work with.

9. Jack´s

Jack´s What's a Dremel?

I know that the PETG will be easier but i also need to think about the how will match the build. With the case being anodized clear and the tuve PETG or Copper chromed versión can look also damm good.

Other thing that i have in consideration is that i will use some UV Liquid cooling and i already prepare 2 rows of 5mm UV LEd in series for the Aqualis reservoir. I think that will look great just using the IR remote to turn on the 12v led dimmer and see how it glows.

10. makymaco

makymaco What's a Dremel?

I suppose your drawings are accurate (especially the fans orientation).

In my opinion you have a problem with your air flow.

The hot air is going up not down.

Rad are more efficient if air comes from the outside the case.

The top rad is ok but the bottom rad should suck air from the outside and you should add feets under your case to make it works .

You should turn the front fans the other way so they take out the hot air from inside the case.

You should integrate dust filters

Personnally, i would have put the 2 rads in the bottom (filters under the case are invisble)

Sorry for my english.

Best regards

11. Jack´s

Jack´s What's a Dremel?

Hi!! I hope my drawing are accurate, if not we will have a serious problem hahahaha. About the airflow I will tested. In my opinión de front and top rads are OK. The bottom rad can be on top of the fans without a problem. But first I want to check it out if the difference in temperature are big or not. If there is no difference I will do it how is in the render because of the asthetics

According to the Fans go like this:

Front fans take air inside i will use something like Corsair AF or so... For the others i want to use the Noiseblocker or Ek, I still need to choose which will be better.

Also regarding the feet of the case Im using 4 CNC custom made feet of 40 mm diameter and 20mm tall. For the dust filter, the front panel has a gap for the radiator of around 4 mm to be able to put there a Silverstone 12cm dust filter and don´t make noise.

In the build that i have now im using those filters and are really good, the only problem that i encounter is that if you have cover next to the filter, they will make a Little Hummm.

Tomorrow or the day after tomorrow will arrive the case, screws, feet, sound dampening foam, and standoffs. I will try to keep the thread update.

This is a photo of the feet for the case
    [​IMG]

Sorry also for my English. Im not native and I do it the best that I can

Thanks for the feedback:thumb::D

Last edited: 18 Mar 2016
  12. Jack´s

Jack´s What's a Dremel?

Well Guys!! Im back... This week has been terrible... Really busy at work and at the same time when i go back home doing the case. The good thing is that everything matches and is the test fit is already done. To be the first scratch build case that I´ve done in my life i need to say that im surprised with the accuracy of all the elements. They match perfect (Like a glove) PERFECTO

Soon i will upload some photos that ive done in really poor quality... but... Im like a kid with his new toy.

I also have some new goodies from Alphacool, Noiseblocker, Ek and Barrows (Chinese brand of fittings that are good quality and no se much overpriced...

The only thing that i dont really like is the color. This was suposed to be black so maybe i will send it back to Anodized black. Just because i thinks will look so much perfect. The next thing that i need to order is the custom side panel. Im between tempered glass and PMMA. Also soon i will recive some Copper chrome tubing

Here are a couple of pictures. Soon I will take more with better quality and using the background and light, but right now my home is a f@k...g messs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]