News Nvidia announces Quadro M6000 24GB graphics card

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 23 Mar 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I'm surprised they didn't just make this a Tesla. I don't think there would be enough 3D applications that would really be able to take advantage of this, but plenty of server CUDA tasks.

3. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

They probably made a batch of these for some company that needed them and once they've worked out the engineering for one it's easy enough to add another SKU to the range.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I wonder if BLOPS III would be satisfied enough with the VRAM on this to allow "extra" settings? :p

5. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

6. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

Though I'm a fan of the red side, I don't think you can compare this with the sXXXX line of Firepros, those are server cards, not graphics cards, a more reasonable approach would be with the wXXXX series.

7. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Yeah, that's fair enough really... Not really an AMD guy, but sometimes I wonder if the greens just have a better PR department!

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

They're the AMD equivalent of the Tesla line rather than a Quadro, that said, the current range topping Tesla, the K80, also only has 24GB [ha, 'only'...]

This is the current top of the workstation tree for the red corner...

So, it's not the first card by either corner to have >=24GB of VRAM, however it may be the first desktop card [as in it has graphics outputs] to have that much.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As others have said, that's not a graphics card; it's an accelerator card. What's the difference? A graphics card has a graphics output (VGA, HDMI, DisplayPort, whatevs); an accelerator card does not. Yes, they both use GPUs - but in the era of GPGPU-accelerated compute, these are more properly termed stream processors than GPUs.

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I think that the confusion arises from using "GPU" and "graphics card" interchangeably.

In other words, Gareth, it's all your fault. :p

On topic, this is crazy. I'd love to take that thing for a spin in Maya with gazillions of mahoosive texture maps. Is there any info on pricing?

11. Gareth Halfacree

Ah, but I'm not using GPU and graphics card interchangeably: "24GB for a single GPU" refers to the card having only one graphics processor which has access to the full 24GB, unlike other big-memory-cards which typically have two GPUs on board each getting half the overall RAM.
    Same as the 12GB version, so about $5,000 MSRP.

12. veato

veato I should be working

So... nobody has asked if it can run Crysis yet?

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

That meme isn't far off puberty now.

14. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

[​IMG]