News Overclockers UK launches 8Pack Asteroid mITX gaming rig

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Mar 2016.

1. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

TBH, if you wanted to sell many of the rigs in MotM commercially, then probably a large number would be 4K+ simply thanks to the work involved. If you start trying to put a price on your personal time, the cost of these things skyrocket.

Hahahahaha you can't be serious right? Sure overclocking at an amateur level is pot luck mostly, but it's very much skill based at the top. These guys know all the exact ins and outs of a system, what they can do is almost magic. How do I know this? Well I've seen it in action, it's crazy the amount of knowledge and experience they have.

This is a complete joke. If nobody cares, then why do special limited and binned cards like the Evga kingpin exist? Or why do people by pre-over locked systems? Hell if I was in the market for buying an OC system and found out that it was built, tested and overclocked by the world number 1, I'd be much more interested.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2016
  2. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

OUTSIDE OF THE NICHE OC COMMUNITY - There you go, because apparently you are too blind to read it without capitals. Or just too stupid to understand it.

You know what, any admin, ban/close/delete this (mine) account. I've literally had enough of this forum, its gone to the dogs in the past few years, you've got argumentative always got to be right, tosspots left, right and centre.

3. Maki role

Yeah what I'm saying is that the niche OC community isn't necessarily that much of a tiny niche anymore. Literally everything can be viewed as a niche if you provide enough scale.

Anyway, the door's that way.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Maki the only people you are going to make understand about this is the type that do what you do. And people like you would obviously just build their own, leaving the people like us laughing at the fact this PC costs four grand.

Again with professional overclocking the only ones who are going to care about it are those that do it. Sure, binning CPUs takes time (and CPUs !) but when most people just run their rigs stock (thanks to Intel competing with themselves for the best part of three years) you've got a tough argument there too.

When I look at this PC all I see is a Parvum with a 6700k and a Titan X. Those are the parts that matter to me. Not the overclocking, or the fan grills, or the fact there is a mid plate with liquid running through it. All I care about are the components. If I designed it and it was exactly what I would design? then sure, maybe I would be prepared to drop four grand on it.

I get how much work goes into it and all of the processes. I've been around long enough to have learned all of that. However, as I said all I see are the components.

5. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

Sadly, I think Vault-Tec hit the nail on the head with this. I see the parts and go, the margin on this is insane.

As much as I can understand that there is the extreme rarity of having a professional at the top of his field personally make this for you.... I don't think my mind can handle the value attached to such a service.

A suitable analogy might be:
    It's like having one of the greatest living architects designing your house from the ground up with absolutely everything into consideration. Only the architects or those steeped deeply into appreciation of the arts might understand each little detail painstakingly involved in the process. The clever hiding of all the electronics, superb finish of each part, the temperature control, lighting effects,etc...

Each of us punters will go, they want how much for a 4 bed house? You mad?

6. Maki role

No I completely get where you two are coming from, no beef with that from me. Different people have different priorities, some see only the components, others the design and others a mixture of both.

As I mentioned it's a similar deal to how a McLaren or Ferrari is in no way a good deal. This is said over and over again in tuner communities, you can outperform those cars in most areas or get close enough with radically lower budgets, you still get the fun.

I think this whole thing just rings with me as I've had so many instances of people low balling my work. PC enthusiasts are amongst the worst for this, most of the time they believe that all the bells and whistles should come free of charge for some reason.

My position is less about the idea that you should value something as much, but be able to understand why somebody might value it so. I have no personal need for a £50k watch, it tells the time no better than a cheap Casio or my phone, as a tool it's pretty pointless. But I can understand why it's priced the way it is, how many hours went into making it, the technical achievement associated with the end product.

7. Vault-Tec

Yeah I kind of knew that's why you were getting upset.

It's a very personal thing that's for sure. And that's the main issue with this rig. You would have to want Parvum. You would have to care about overclocking. You would have to want the liquid cooling to be set up exactly as it is. You would have to want the exact components, and so on.

Most people don't give a chuff about how their rig looks. I can't tell you the amount of rat nest builds I've seen over the years clogged with dust yet filled with high end components.

Those that do care? with cases like the NZXT with the lovely shrouds and £40 on custom cables they can have something unique to them. Basically modders like you are arming companies like NZXT, because when they see a good idea that doesn't cost a ton of money to implement in materials or time they are basically using the modding community to give them things to sell.

It's all such a personal thing, and the more it costs the more personal it becomes.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Or you'd have so much money that you wouldn't.

9. Vault-Tec

Yeah of course. That's obviously who OCUK are targeting with it :)

10. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

I can understand Maki's agitation on this with the PC crowd lowballing, I've had people very interested in me doing some work for them, yet ultimately they are offering me lower than min wage, whilst also expecting a 1st class consumer experience with warranties, support, etc. You can tell they earn their money by sitting in an office twiddling their thumbs. It's also true most people don't appreciate how much time small scale operations can eat up, sadly in a wage based economy such as ours, the prices that arise from inefficiencies in production in the same wage area leads to often hideously poor perceived value for the browsing consumer, you get a similar thing in the HiFi market where the chi-fi costs about 10 times less than something made in England, and bluntly the quality is not much of a differentiator.

Parvum are really not my cup of tea at all, though they provide more options over the traditional tombstone cases, which is always good, and they are based in the UK :O)

Still you'd need to have won a lottery to realistically consider that 4K pc with a 980ti on the cusp of the x80 series launch.

Also consumer friendly overclocks are very very easy, I was doing it when I was 15, without the internet to help, when overclocking was infact more difficult.

11. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Is this actually built by 8pack? I thought I once read somewhere that certain 8pack systems were built by OCUK's top system builder (i.e. not 8pack) and then the built product was overclocked by 8pack. I might be remembering wrong however.

12. Vault-Tec

No I think that's probably about right.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I very much enjoyed Giant Kiwis rant. Honestly, if you can't take Bit tech then good luck to you on the rest of the Internet. This place is a sanctuary in comparison.

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I enjoyed it too... three weeks ago ;)