1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Extinct sabertooth...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by st1x, 11 May 2016.

1. st1x

st1x Surviving on low specs since '86

My longstanding 1st edition Sabertooth 990FX died suddenly and peacefully in its sleep recently.

i need a replacement quicksharp but im on a budget so it HAS to be an AM3+ socket but because ive been out of touch with the hardware community for some time i need some advice...

I need to transplant a : Corsair HX850 PSU
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 GFX
    16 Gb of Dominator Ram DDR3 @1866Mhz
    FX-8350 CPU with enough room for a bequiet dark rock pro 2 to sit on top
    Asus xonar DX sound card

What is the best AM3+ board i can get and still use all of the above for around the £150 mark?
    &
    What would be the best AM3+ board i could get if money were no option?

Im not looking at intel so please dont suggest it.
    Ive tried searching the forums but anything am3 related is quite far down the list and i dont know if its still relevant anymore.

Thanks in advance

St1x

2. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Why not Intel?

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The best AM3+ board I used was the CHIVFZ. But you will pay for it.

Now really isn't a good time to spend £150 on a AMD motherboard in all honesty, not with Zen just around the corner.

Look into your warranty, but personally I would try and make the switch to Intel or buy something cheap and wait for Zen.

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

RMA your current board and get a "get by" board.

6. st1x

I cant do Intel because i just dont have the money to for out for a new board and chip

i bought it October 2011, sooo...4 and a half years ago. Ive got in contact with asus and they have advised me to reset my CMOS. I know this wont work because it was one of the first things i tried but i am persisting. I bought it from scan so would the 5 year thing be through them or Asus? im not confident with scan and would prefer to go through asus because i have had issues with scan not rma'ing stuff properly and costing me a lot of money, this was 3 years ago and i havent used them since.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

1st year scan. 2 to 5 years with Asus. Just dig out your purchase info from scan and call Asus to rma. It could take 2 months though

8. st1x

Thanks Bindi....I thought that may be the case which is why i went straight to asus.

I'm not going to lie, i'm slightly apprehensive about how they are going to deal with this because the board is so close to the, already borderline, warranty cut off point and because its such an old revision coupled with the nightmare tales you hear about companies but i have to try and chance the fates because at this point there is very little else i can do.

Thank you to all for the advice so far.

Nic

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They'll try to repair it for sure. It gets sent to the EU service center in the Czech Republic. Only if it's really dead you'll probably get a repaired replacement or if they are all out of stock, an upgrade to a v2 maybe.

Bottom line is that you'll still be without a board for a few months, so might as well pick up a cheap AM3+ somewhere to tie you over. I wouldn't spend upwards of 100 quid on AM3+ now. 50-quid should buy a 2nd hand ~970X/990 that works for 6-9 months.

st1x likes this.
  10. robbiec

robbiec What's a Dremel?

I have a Sabertooth FX990 R2.0 and have been looking at a stopgap update until Zen arrives. The one that has interested me the most the Gigabyte GA-990FX-Gaming purely because it has USB 3.1 with a Type C connector and a useful M.2 slot which have 4 PCIEv2 lanes for 20Gbs throughput. Mindfactory have it listed at about €130

11. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

That's not a stop gap. That's throwing good money away on something that you might not use for very long. Get a cheaper board if you REALLY need one and wait for Zen to release. That would be my advice anyway. Unless of course, you're rich, then go right ahead and buy me a pink fluffy unicorn :D

12. robbiec

robbiec What's a Dremel?

Of course it's a stopgap. I want to try out the new nvme Samsung m.2 cards. Currently running 4 x 120gb EVOs in RAID0 hanging of an IBM M5016 card. Getting about 1800MB/s read and 1600MB/s write, the only way for me to improve is to go nvme and the best implementation for AM3+ is the Gigabyte. I'll sell my Sabertooth on and the net cost to me will be about €50 to replace the motherboard.