1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Where do you buy your phones

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 18 May 2016.

1. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

I have SIM-free contracts, and I buy from Apple if iPhone, Amazon or Clove for pretty much everything else.

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

I've been doing more reading on the grey market imports and I think I will avoid them. They can take a long time to ship, you can get hit by duty and customer service is pretty poor. Seems better deals can be had on ebay if I'm patient.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, I mean I bought it from the marketplace *'ere* - the Bit-Tech Marketplace. It was second-hand from a fellow forum user.

4. surya kumar

surya kumar What's a Dremel?

Through online e-commerce sites

5. jamie1989

jamie1989 What's a Dremel?

Forums, gumtree or facebook, but i always put my sim card in and activate the phone as i seen people selling icloud blocked, but did know know till they got home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Deders

Deders Modder

I'm a bit dubious of phones that arrive to the market early from sites that try to hide the fact they are from the far east. Same goes for computer parts as it can often cost more in postage to return an item, than the item is worth. Makes it worse if the company gets the order wrong. Add in the 3 week wait it can take for items to arrive in the first place.

I bought an LG nexus 5X from an Amazon reseller. Turns out it was a model made in Hong Kong, designed for the Asian market. This meant it wasn't compatible with 4G LTE 800MHz that I needed for the GiffGaff/O2 network.

The seller has disappeared from the Amazon but Amazon are honouring the return. Now I'm trying to find an HTC 10 from a non Hong Kong seller before the 30 day return period expires.

7. silk186

silk186 Derp

I've decided against going with one of the grey market phones on google market as it can take a long time to ship, has poor customer service and can be charged duty.

I'm looking on ebay now, unless I see a good deal here.
    Seems the best deals are from free upgrades.