Networks Long Distance Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bagman, 9 Jun 2016.

1. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Need some help on deciding what is the best solution to a problem I have in our summer house in Sweden.

In Sweden we have 3 small houses separated by 30-40 meters. We just got fiber optics to our main house. But we got a really **** router, wifi range of about 4 meters. So how do I make the Wifi signal stretch to all 3 houses?

I can't use homeplugs as the houses are on a separate power system from each other. I was thinking of having my own english standard router and plugging that into the current router, so the main house has good wifi signal.

But what about the guest houses? As they are right next to each other a good signal in one will be good enough for the other house.

I think a Wifi booster will be just too far away. So would I have to go down this route?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISUSlTcgWks

Or are there routers powerful enough to send a decent signal to the guest house and then it is just a wifi booster needed?

What are your thoughts?

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

You'll want an outdoor rated directional AP, or if your ambitious, run a cat5e cable to one one of the guest houses and add an access point.

3. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Unfortunately I can't run a cat 5 e cable to the houses. But can you recommend a directional AP?

4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

5. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Its also worth mentioning that we have 90mbs download speed, and would like the hardware to be able to support that.

6. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

unifi do a LR AC ap with up to 300meter range, might be of use?

7. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Directional outside antennas between houses and repeaters in each house. You might get away with single 2.4GHz AP and directional antennas (forget 5G at those ranges then there are obstacles), but you'll be lucky to get couple mbps over that.

8. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Maybe something like this? Looks expensive though and possibly overkill for a smaller distance.

9. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

Just bear in mind, putting a big antenna on your main house is not going to improve the crappy wifi range of your iPhone / Laptop / what ever. a Big antenna at one end really needs a similarly sized antenna at the other. Otherwise the wifi will show up on your device but your actual connection / throughput will be terrible.

If there's anyway you can run hard wired cat5 out to your other properties, a box 305m of outdoor grade cable be had for less then £50 and will be so much simpler to deal with.

10. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

www.solwise.co.uk have some great outdoor stuff

for 3 houses you have 2 ways of doing it - the more expensive way is to get 4 directional units and create 2 bridges (1 for each property with 1 house with 2)

for best performance you would need line of sight and get a 5Ghz model that can handle between a minimum of 300Mbps and power output will depend on the distance you need it to go

the cheaper way is to buy 1 omni-direction unit and and 2 directional but you will lose the sped this way as the omni unit will be sending the wi-fi in a 180 or 360 direction instead of maybe 10-30 degree arc.

once the bridge is in the property switch to hard wire and use a std indoor 2.4ghz access point of hardwire all your kit (better)

11. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Ubiquiti have various products that do exactly what you want, with ranges from 500m to 30km+

In your case the NanoStation M2 would be fine, set one (or two up) outside and you'll be able to extend your wifi with no issues. As they are mounted outside so will provide a much better signal.

12. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Use 2 of these to create a wireless bridge and then a regular access point (or router in AP mode) for the clients to connect to. Sure, it's a bit complicated and expensive (if you have 2 guest houses, I'm assuming that's not a problem), but you are asking on bit-tech :dremel:

13. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Yes this is what I was looking at, seems like the best option. Now I just need 2 routers, what do you guys recommend?