1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Questions for MDK and other experts....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Morpheon, 10 Sep 2003.

1. Morpheon

Morpheon What's a Dremel?

After about two weeks of having my watercooling setup...I am fairly happy with results.....
    (parts: Maze 4 AMD, Z-chip, Radeon9700, hydorL30, tygon, Nanopure DNA free Bio research water!!! + Zerex (just like water wetter but clear in color) Criticool res and relay card, and BIX 2 with two YS-Tech 120mm suckin air threw the rad which is mounted on the top of my case....)

(path Pump > Cpu > Northbridge > Gfx card > Rad > Res > Pump)

my thermal probe between my block and cpu says < 35 most of the time....my Bios says 39 idle to lower 40s at load (my voltage is at 2.06v on my XP2400+) (with fans set to near silent my temp idle (or net surfing) is about 41-43)

Does this sound right to you???

and is sucking truly better than blowing air?

I am using several elbows (I know from reading here that is a no no for flow but I had no choice....i have a mid tower!...but even tygon kinks too much...i was being generous with it too and still it would kink...maybe clearflex is better???

How bout the path????I figured passing the coldest water over the cpu at max. flow would be best that why it comes from the rad to the res to the pump then to the cpu rather than the popular Pump > Rad > cpu....

I am sorry to ask soo much :confused: :confused: :confused: but spending soo much $$$ and knowing so little is just not comfortable and this forum really has some experinced guys it seems..... :clap:

So any help would be great

Also my old bios would report much lower temps...36 at load! too bad my new bios adds 6C....Abit NF7-S 2.0

Thanks!!

Morph

2. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I've seen some reviews where the Abit NF7s v2.0 reads the tempretures wrong, i have the board and i can't really tell. Only way i can think of checking is inserting an out side prob and comparing the temps.

Also the rad on the top of the case im not sure how this works as i have mine on the front and am sucking cold air through which is the way to do it :thumb: as i understand but it differs when the rad is on the top as you know hot air rises and your sucking air from the top and pumping into the case, so im not sure about this but try it both ways don't see how it will hurt.

I think 41 - 43 idle is a little high for a a 2400 although your voltage is quite high so it could be the right temp, is that the default volt for the 2400 or have you heavaly overclocked it hence the volt increase. When you say fans are on near silent, what voltage you talking about cause when i put mine on 5v my temps rise by about 1-2c and adding another 2v making it go at 7v reduces the temp by 1-2c, if you've got them on a rheo try increasing the speed a smiggen and see what happens.

also passing the coldest water over the cpu is the right way to do it :D, i don't think it matters what order you have the setup as long as your putting the coldest water to the CPU first then carry it to the other components.

Side not - I feel very honered that you got my name as in Expert but im no expert i know enuf to get by the experts id say you wanna aim at is
    Pug
    Coolmiester
    8-ball
    But thanks hope i've helped.

Morgan.

3. Morpheon

Morpheon What's a Dremel?

YES!!! I got M_D_K_ to reply.....sorry....not sucking up but I have just read a lot of your posts and would love your input on the parameters of my computer....You have seen a lot more than I have and that makes your or the others you mentioned (i.e. pug) advice invaluable!!!

Yes I am overclocking like mad!!! 2400+ running at 2.43Ghz! (stock 1.98ghz) on a overclocked 442FSB!!! (stock 266mhz).....hence the 2.06v

Also I hardmodded my Ati 9500 non pro to a Ati 9700 pro running clocks of 403Mhz core and 606.8Mhz ram (ram is not the best as it was made to use on the 9500 not the 9700) So that adds heat too..

I live by 3dmark...simply because its soo universal for comparison....my stable running score is 17,698

I constantly adjust fans..they are on a rheo....whisper is what I go for when doing most general computer tasks and watching Divx movies at night....except when gaming...but who cares then

My flow may be lower because I have a whopping 8 elbows in my system but none going from the pump head to the cpu....but the way I fill the system (THE HARDEST PART OF WATERCOOLING for me atleast, save finding leaks) I can feel that the flow is quite fast.....

I was mainly worried about temps....I hope it is just the voltage....

and I just dont get tubing and avoiding kinking...I mean about 30 US dollars worth of tygon only to find it was slightly better than regular....hence my use of elbows....

well any further suggestions or advice from you or the others would be great....THANKS for the PROMPT reply...being new in forums can be hard so that means a lot.. :rock: :rock: :rock:

Morph

4. afjs1413

afjs1413 Minimodder

I Am no expert in this "watercooling" feild, hell i dont even have watercooling.. But i would have thought that having the rad infront of the pump would make the water a little warm going through the pump, so surly it would be better to have the rad after the pump/before the CPU block

Well thats me over and done with..

PS. maybe one day i will get watercooling and test these things out :p

5. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

You have got a valid point i'll give you that by putting the rad infront of the pump and removing an heat from anything is a good plan it might or might not reduce your temps. I'd wait for Coolmiester to arrive as he has tested all setups or near enuf, I don't think depending on the pump the pump shouldn't put much heat in but heat is heat and its best to remove as much as you can.

Also havn't dabled with Tygon seems a little expensive for my liking at £2 a foot its a bit out of my reach im using some £1.50 a metre stuff which has a 3mm wall which is damn hard to kink and by rearanging all the stuff in my case i managed ot aviod using elbows. Also have you tried the system withouthte elbows and with them as you probably know if you've read many posts that Pug has got 16 Elbows in his setup and seems to be doing ok with a high OC, i think its mainly down to trial and erroo concept try with the elbows try without, try with rad infront try without then report your progress to us :D Keep it up dude :thumb:

Morgan.

6. olv

olv he's so bright

Your load temps are pretty good for just a couple of degrees increase, at idle if you put your fans on full what temp do you get down to? Also what is the ambient temp as this plays a huge role in your watercooling temps.

From the amount of voltage and overclock you are getting on your CPU and GFX card plus the added heat being given off by your NB i would think that your temps could be fairly accurate.

I hope you dont literally mean 'between'! your block and cpu :lol:

If you got adventurous you could always cut and channel in your CPU socket to run the thermal probe under the backside of your CPU core which would possibly give a more accurate reading.

7. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Nice overclock :thumb:

Adding one elbow will reduce flow on any given system throughout the loop...flow will remain constant throughout. Now when people say "do not use 90's" they should more accurately say "do not use 90's if not necessary". One elbow will not drastically change temps(I hate it when people gang up on someone for using one elbow)...but 8 will probably affect it.

Also the order you have things in (Pump > Cpu > Northbridge > Gfx card > Rad > Res > Pump) can be good...can be bad. Every combination can be argued(and all hardware/setups are different) but it all boils down to what works for you. If you can try Pump->Rad->CPU->GPU->NB->Res->Pump, it might chop off a few degrees. Unfortunately there is always a bit of compromise when installing watercooling in a case...

Tags: