1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 10 upgrade is still free

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 1 Aug 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

Wait, doesn't that mean that Win 7 is still the most popular? My guess would be most of the Win10 users came from Win 8.x since Win 7 only dropped 5%

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

By quite a margin, although Win 10 is indeed top on the Steam HWS

I would guess that had Microsoft not begun steathily forcing the Win 10 update on the un-suspecting the uptake figure for Win 10 would be even lower.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2016
  4. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

still have mouse dropping issues on my 'experiment' pc, wont consider budging till those are solved. Spent about 10 x 1 hour sessions trying to fix so far....

5. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I never trust upgrades from one OS to another OS... yeah, WE R Microsoft and we update UR OS no problem. I've had at least two people call me to try to rollback this upgrade because it failed to finish and screwed up their computers.

But its Free!!! Not if it causes you to make numerous calls to tech support... or friends that you consider tech support.

6. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Thank god there's more time. We've only had a year. :D

7. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Thankfully I upgraded a year ago on both my machines and several family members and had no problems.

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I've heard a few horror stories, but not experienced any myself (either on my systems or systems I look after for other people)... with the exception of Windows 10 deciding that CCleaner shouldn't be installed and removing it during the upgrade, my Win 10 experiences have been mostly positive.

9. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Only had problems with the one of three different installs and was surprised that the laptop had no problems after getting the right GPU driver. I know the workarounds so will try it again and since the drive won't be moved anywhere and the mobo won't change, the last PC should be fine.

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Daughters pc froze at 99‰ on download, switched to my usb stick and she was upgraded in no time, should have gone that route in the first place but was being lazy which ended up costing me time and extra electricity.

11. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

How about an article telling how to install Win 10 so the install is glitch-free?
    If this OS is so popular, then somebody must be installing it correctly.
    So far, I've had zero luck upgrading from one OS to another (Vista>Win 7), (XP Pro>Vista) and ended up with new hdd's & a fresh copy of the OS.

12. alpinemobile

alpinemobile What's a Dremel?

'a loophole'. hahahahahhahahha. Microsoft doesn't want this to end. They want everybody on Windows 10.

13. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I went for the upgrade paths from 7 to 8.1 to 10 and it did work for quite some time (several months) without any major problems. To be honest, nvidia's drivers caused more problems during that time.

I recently installed 10 from scratch and only after that I had my first BSOD when quitting The Division. But I am pretty sure that was more related to Division or UPlay than Windows. 10 has been rock solid for me and while I do not like certain things it does or does not do I am still very happy with it. It is fast, stable and does most things right. Let's not pretend XP or 7 were perfect, they all had their flaws and issues.

14. AiA

AiA Minimodder

couldn't get any pc or laptop to upgrade from within win 7, by downloading via the pop up.

gave up and downloaded the iso, and did a fresh install on one latop
    on the following pc's, stuck the dvd iso in and upgraded that way
    same again on another pc but via the usb iso

but more less smooth sailing after just using the iso files

15. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Considering the big leap in popularity for Windows 10 on Steam in comparison to netmarketshare, would it be fair to suggest that gamers on the whole are more attracted of what an OS can offer like DirectX 12 therefore more likely to try out new things and less likely to be zealots and not so much loyal to a particular OS. I can understand another factor that gaming PCs are capable.

16. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

I've just successfully upgraded to the Anniversary update after three unsuccessful attempts. In the end, it was an old Elgato TV Tuner that was the problem - the driver hadn't been updated since 2010, and kept on causing the Anniversary update to crash every time I attempted the upgrade. I only found out after examining my crash dumps.

It makes me wonder, how many unsuccessful Windows upgrades are due to unnoticed old, or obscure hardware or software, with their out-of-date drivers and similar lack of updates?

17. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Not had any issues upgrading 6 computers - the last using this method 2 days ago which worked perfectly.

18. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I've upgraded my main gaming rig, my spare gaming rig, my laptop, HP Stream 7, work PC..... all with zero problems, and had no problems with any of them since, either.

Windows 10 is the best OS they've ever made, and I really don't understand all the hate.

19. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

I don't know either. Any articles about Windows 10 and Anniversary update, like clockwork, the comment sections start to fill up with people on hellbent missions letting their feelings flow with bile and hate, and not content with that, they start accusing people liking the OS of being shills and paid employees of Microsoft. Places generally where can comment by using other accounts facebook, google and etc. Hmm, strange indeed.

20. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Hopefully not here on Bit-tech - but I know the places you mean ;)

I think I was just musing on why some people can do multiple upgrades with no problems, while some of us keep on having upgrade problems - are we doing something differently on our PCs? I think we're very much in the minority, and it in no way detracts from my great appreciation for Windows 10 (I've been following the Anniversary update as an Insider since it was first announced).

I guess it must come down to the massive range of hardware & software that Windows 10 has to support - something like a yearly update is bound to break something on a small number of machines - however, hopefully in most of our cases, it's only a temporary setback before we eventually upgrade successfully :)

Tags: Add Tags