1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice The do all HTPC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ceryni, 16 Oct 2016.

1. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

Hi everyone. I'm having some real trouble here.

I'm building a HTPC to replace the Xbox and also access internet Netflix etc.

The problem is finding a case small enough, I've gone and bought parts and a case too big and now I've got to return them to Scan.

I have: cpu (haswell s1150), ram, very low profile cooler, HDD's , optical drive, gpu is sorted,

I need case, PSU. Mobo.

Budget is £140-150 more or less.

Approx Max. Dimensions: w400mm x h160mm x d430mm
    USB 3.0
    Space for a full size gpu

The less the better, obviously you need specs for PSU:

G3258 Pentium K
    GPU could be as potent as a 4GB gtx670
    8gb Ddr3 crucial
    Blu Ray drive
    Ssd and hdd

I have looked and looked and looked, I'm exhausted, I'm fed up. I want to throw all of my stuff into the marketplace and quit everything.

Please, please help.

I currently have a corsair PSU and a nice mATX board that I'll probably have to return along with the Silverstone grandia GD09

2. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Check out the Silverstone GD05B

Full ATX capable, and I've got a 960 comfortably in mine (previously a larger 560Ti).
    Tall memory heatsinks will cause issues if you want an optical drive in there

Edit: sorry it's 440 wide......

You did say approximate dimensions, how tight are they?
    An SG05 is 176 tall....

Last edited: 16 Oct 2016
  3. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

First of all thanks for the help, it is appreciated.

Secondly, the dimensions are pretty tight, within a centimetre of the max. The only one with a little wiggle room is depth, ideally though it's not going to stick out the back of the tv stand!

The memory is very low profile crucial sport.

4. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Ml07, ML08 or ML09 might just fit the bill.

You will need an SFX psu, but they will carry full length GPUs (except the 9 which is half heights only) with a PCI riser (no idea if they are included).

Take a look at them, see what you think...

Edit: never built them myself but a quick Google shows some hefty builds in them and they fit the size restrictions. The Raven line are pretty much the same only gamier in looks.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2016
  5. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

Great, thanks I'll check it out and see how getting the case psu and mobo works out price wise.
    Hopefully the 7 and 8 are available via scan. I'm hoping they're able to do an exchange to save me boxing it all back up, since I've now chucked the massive box they sent. Would cost me a bomb to post.

Edit: just to add the the pain I'm going through lol, I need to be able to fit a full size optical drive (5.25"?) And those only take a slim drive. Curses!
    Also the ML08 with a decent power supply would hit the 150 mark and I'd still need an itx board.

Ill keep looking but I might have to try and convince the SO that it's pretty enough to sit under the TV

Last edited: 17 Oct 2016
  6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You're really making it impossible either keeping the mATX vs mini-ITX (Node 202 esq) or keeping the full size GPU which would open up a lot of choices.

Close would be http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002936 but it's 454w not 400w. For a HTPC doing anything but gaming you don't need a GPU these days: Intel graphics is more than sufficient.

External USB BD drive? Then at least you can use it with anything in future.

7. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

Yeah I know, thanks for the reply.
    I have decided to stick with the one I bought now as returning it is going to be too costly.

I'll let you all know how it turns out