1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Rehab - Fractal R4 casemod [Completed]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by InsolentGnome, 24 Jul 2016.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Ohm etybadid

She came out great, but I'm sad because you reminded me I have to buy a bunch of fire extinguishers. :lol:

2. noobas4urus

noobas4urus What's a Dremel?

Very awesome Dave!

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

£etybadid

4. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks! I'm liking the stainless and Bill's fittings. It takes a bit more measuring, but having that set radius makes the runs easier.

Didn't mean to be snippy, though it kind of reads that way. I would have done some sort of grilling, but extra points for theme and color, hence the blue as well. Though I do love that blue.

Thanks! I'm happy with the flames. There are spots I wish I'd have re taped for consistency, but my biggest regret is not getting a deeper orange. There's actually some nice play in the fading. It's light in person and invisible on my camera.:sigh:

Thanks! Hahaha! I think this stretched my budget enough!:lol:

:lol: Thanks! Safety first! I probably ought to buy a couple too, the only fresh charged extinguisher in my house and I empty it and throw it in a computer case.:duh:

Thank you sir!

5. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Ok, final pic time. Man, one of these days I need to upgrade the camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last two aren't the best pics(one with awesome framing and bad cropping, the other off my phone, but I love the reflection on the hood) but I love the look of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for following along and once again, a huge shout out to Bill at MNPCTECH for sponsoring those awesome fittings!

[​IMG]

6. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

:rock: ohhhh hellz yes :rock:

7. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

One for the gearheads!

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Came out lovely.
    It will never pass inspection like that. ;)
    I can't imagine how much sealing and sanding was involved to get the MDF to shine up like that.

9. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks! Inspections? We don't need no stinking inspections.:lol:

Well, had I done it right and not rushed things...:duh: In the end, I took it down to wood twice and then 4 or 5 coats of primer and some light sanding.

I was on track originally to have 4 or 5 coats of primer then the black base. But then it went horribly wrong when I ran out of primer after 3 coats of some good automotive etch primer. I think 2 more coats of high build and some sanding would have gotten it perfect. As it was, I pushed hoping the base would flow out even though I knew it wouldn't. Then I got into one of those bad idea loops where you try to cut corners instead of just starting over right.:wallbash:

Next time I want to try epoxy primer. I've got a couple of quarts but didn't think about it till I was in my final round of priming. I think it should seal up the wood first coat and then you can rattle can high build on to your heart's content.

10. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Very nice looking build, :D job well done!

11. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks!

12. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Public voting is open for Gigabyte's Mod2Win contest!  You can vote for as many mods as you like, once a day, until December 19th and get entered for some Gigabyte swag too!  So yeah, everyday you can enter for swag!  Check it out!

http://event.gigabyte.us/mod2win/vote/

Obviously I want you to vote for Rehab, but while you're there, check out The Duality which is also here in the forums.  He managed to shove 20 pounds of....stuff...in a 10 pound box.  Crazy!