1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice HELP - W10 clean install to Inspiron 1545 & new SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neil_b, 23 Nov 2016.

1. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

I've had a number of issues with a DELL Inspiron 1545, and decided to upgrade it to W10/64 and also put in a new Crucial MX300 SSD (270GB).

I've started up the laptop with the the W10 Pendrive in a USB socket and all seemed to be going ok until it asked me to select the install route - which I chose to be a clean-install, and when it then took me to the drive window, the new SSD I'd just put in doesn't come up and it asks me to select a driver, and in this case it'll only be from the W10 memory I just plugged in.

It says there aren't any drivers on the W10 stick (or have I missed something) and I'm stuck in a loop of the drive not being recognised as being there, look for the drivers, no drivers and round and round.

Is there something I should have done when I put the SSD into the laptop? I've looked at the Crucial web site and can't see a driver (although there is Firmware for the drive available - but that doesn't look like a driver). What do I do to get the Install process to recognise there is a perfectly good SSD in place waiting to be used. The format disk option doesn't work - probably because the drive isn't being recognised in the first place?

Really stuck with this - do I need to get a SATA driver from Dell before the SSD is recognised - if yes which one as there are 4-5 apparently available.

Hope I haven't screwed this but I Just realised I can't see W10 as showing as supported for this laptop on the Dell website, however the upgrade WAS offered in the windows toolbar (I wanted to go the clean install route though) so I made (I think) the reasonable assumption that the Inspiron 1545 was therefore supported for W10???

2. Xaine

Xaine Death... destroyer of brain cells

An OS will generally work with any PC, dependent on resources available. Have you tried opening the bios to see if it's in there? Unsure how you access the command prompt to format the srive but if you have a separate PC you might wanna put it in and initialise it. I've had this with Hard drives and adds before where it doesn't show

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Update your BIOS as a starting point. I think I did one not so long ago and after the update it just worked.

Note: You need to be in Windows to flash the BIOS so bob your old HDD back in.

Edit: Xaine, not quite true of Windows 10. It is incredibly picky with older laptops. And even some newer ones because of how it interacts with the BIOS.

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

5. Xaine

Xaine Death... destroyer of brain cells

Crickey, never thought such interaction would happen, cheers for the correction :rock:

6. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Flip the Bios SATA settings from RAID (RST) to AHCI.

Shouldnt need a driver then to install.