1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Blank screens on boot. what haven't i tried?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by dave_c, 4 Dec 2016.

1. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

so when i switched on my computer last night i got no display at all, power sounded like it came on (fan spin up, lights come on etc) but no display. The error readout on bios A (latest bios version) just reads "00" and doesnt budge, Bios B cycles through a few but nearly always lands on b0, b4, b7 or d7

I've already tried,
    bios a and b (a is updated to latest version b is origional)
    Reset cmos
    removed everything and replaced one at a time.
    tried all ram sticks in all ram slots one at a time.
    tried alternative PSU
    tried alternative GPU

Nothing has had any effect at all, Can anyone PLEASE help me out here, this is my work machine, I have a project im due to deliver by tomorrow evening. Have i missed anything? is there anything else i can check?

Really appreciate any help anyone can offer, Kind of in a desperate pinch here, if there are any details anyone needs just let me know. Thanks.

My PC spec is:
    MSI X99S Gaming 7 motherboard
    I7 5960X processor
    Corsair H100i CPU cooler
    Nvidia GTX 970 GPU
    32Gb (4x8 sticks) Crucial RAM
    Corsair HX 1050W PSU
    Samsung SM961 M.2 500Gb windows storage
    Samsung 850 pro 256GB SSD scratch disk
    Western Digital green 500GB HDD X 2 storage
    Western Digital blue 1TB x2
    Windows 10.

2. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Sounds like the issue I have with my HTPC.
    If I keep trying to power it on it eventually comes to life (12 attempts is the record to date).
    Figured it to be power so swapped the PSU but it made no difference so I think it's actually the motherboard being on its way out.

I did find that using a DVI cable to an alternative monitor showed me more as the HDMI wasn't engaging.

Can't help much more than that I'm afraid.

3. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

What's the version on BIOS B? Since you tried the usual components, perhaps it's time to take the motherboard out of the chassis and test on the box and check closely for the bent pins.

4. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

I would love to answer that, but unfortunately because i dont have any kind of read out i have no idea. I havent touched the second bios since i got the motherboard so i would guess its most likely the origional which I THINK would be H0?

The feeling im getting is that its the MB but i dont want to just go out and buy a new one and then find the exact same issue. (i.e. it wasnt an issue with the MB)

The PC was working fine for over a year and a bit before this happened and i havent been inside the case, except to add the M.2 drive. Didnt touch anything for a pin to get bent.

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Have you tried a different PCI-E slot for your GPU?

6. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Normally motherboards carry 3-year warranty so you shouldn't have to shell out for a new one, so you should be able to RMA it.

7. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

I have. but thanks for the suggestion.

Thats a good point about the RMA, ill have a look into it, im (fairly) sure i still have all the paper work.

8. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

An invoice is normally enough. Normally where you get it from (Scan, overclockers, etc), the order history has pdf files to download to your desktop so you can upload or printable invoices.

9. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

Just to update this thread, My computer seems to be working now.

I would LOVE to tell you what the solution is but i dont know what it was.

I took it to a local computer store where the guy who runs it put it through dozens of tests.
    Memory was okay
    GPU was okay
    PSU was okay
    Hard drives were okay.

During testing the M.2 he removed it booted from another drive and it posted perfectly.

After that he put the M.2 back in and it just worked. neither of us have any idea what may have caused, we had both tired re-seating the M.2 multiple times before that so all i can think of is that the MB was stuck in some sort of loop?

He also noticed that the MSI X99s gaming 7 doesn't like having the memory split in the way the manual tells you to do it (manual suggests if only 4 stick put in slots 1,3,5,7. BUT if you place all the memory is 1234 or 5678 it works fine.
    This is additionally odd as i did try each memory stick in each slot (with just 1 memory stick in at a time) and that didnt fix the issue.)

Really appreciate the help everyone has thrown at this.

Thanks.

10. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

Another update, PC blew up again and i ended up replacing the MB. Looks like what ever we did, it was a short term fix. now working fine so we're thinking it was something wrong with the RAM lanes.

Again, really appreciate all the help offered here.

Thanks all.