1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Intel vs AMD - A question or something to think about?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nealieboyee, 1 Jan 2017.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Maybe it was crap? Annoying as it might've been, I'd rather a company go 'y'know what, there are issues' rather than release something they know is a lemon.

Samsung, take Note...

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

That assumes that AMD can actually afford to undercut those products... If AMD can deliver a chip with the performance of a 6600K at a cheaper price then I'll be impressed (and very happy), but there's no point in then undercutting Intel on price if they don't actually make enough profit to keep afloat. Let's also see how the motherboard side of things shakes out.

3. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

When we talk about clock for clock speeds, say an i3 vs an FX6300, Why is the i3 so much faster clock for clock? This goes for most intel chips vs AMD chips. An i3 at stock will beat most budget AMD chips, quad core or not.

Explain!

Surely 1GHz is 1GHz. So why is Intel's 1GHz faster than AMD's?

4. RedFlames

Simply put, because Intel's CPUs can perform more instructions per cycle [IPC] than AMD's.

Think of it like a conveyor belt, the clock speed is how fast the belt moves, but that's not the only determining factor as to how much stuff it can move. AMD's conveyor belt isn't as wide as Intel's [fewer IPC], so they compensate by speeding it up [higher clock speed]. RyZen is AMD building a [hopefully] wider belt.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2017
    Nealieboyee likes this.
  5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

That is a really good way of putting it :thumb:

6. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Wow that is a great analogy! Makes complete sense now. :thumb: +rep

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Clock per clock Intel are miles ahead. Mostly because they have been binning and refining, but mostly because they have taken their tech through various node shrinks. The smaller the die the less voltage and heat and thus, sometimes higher clocks you can get afterwards. That's how they gain around 5% each time they shrink on IPC. However, overall clocks have let them down because they use poor TIM between the chip and the contact plate.

Intel are about to hit a brick wall. Thankfully Kabylake seems to clock higher (though the truth will be in the eating when people actually buy them) but they don't seem to have gained any IPC at all.

They also bin their chips and refine the process for higher success per wafer. This is why early 5820ks could only do around 4ghz yet the later ones are good for 4.4 easily.

Intel have just announced they are now working on a new architecture. I would imagine that is the one they have been saving for if and when AMD make a comeback in IPC terms (which it seems they just may have).

So Intel can't continue on pulling the teets of the cash cow and now actually have to do something rather than shrinking to make a living.

It's about time.

I'm not going to put price tags on Zen but let's just say Intel have been a little bit "greedy" lately so unless AMD want to be pigs too then they can quite easily make their chips cheaper and still turn a profit. Personally I think Intel are having their last go at the trough before AMD are competitive again. Hence the Kaby release now, weeks before Zen. They're trying to catch people out.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Agree with most of what you said, think prices will be higher than most would like or assume though. Especially in the UK

9. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

£350 for the 7700K... I'll just leave that here.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

£186 for an i3 kaby lake!

11. Vault-Tec

You could get a 5820k for that a while back !

12. rollo

rollo Modder

This is what happens when the currency tanks vs $, as these prices are 1-1 conversions once VAT is added on top. If you go back to last year pre vote, that £350 would likely be under £280 that's kinda the state of things.

You could buy a 6700k and mobo for £350 on scans bundle deals.

7700k is $307 list price, Add on our vat to that and you have the price they are asking.

13. RedFlames

The 6700K is only £10 cheaper... and the non-Ks are withing a few £ of each other

14. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

i5 7600K is £240... that's what the i7 3770K cost when it was released.
    £270 for the 4770K
    £260 for the 4790K

I know the £ tanked in 2016 but this is crazy. Intel clearly isn't worried about Ryzen.

15. Vault-Tec

I think they are. I think they are jacking prices to get as much cash in as they can before they ditch the tech and move onto the new one.

They have never done this before (hiked prices so fast) so yeah, I reckon it's a panic sell before Ryzen hits. Because once it does they need to price their stuff competitively and not with this rip off technique.

16. RedFlames

4790K MSRP was $339-$350

£ averaged $1.64 in 2014 [its year of release] giving a UK price of £246-£255

7700K is [officially at least] the same MSRP.

Which at current exchange [£ = $1.23] rate give a £ price of £333-£342

So the jump in price is almost solely down to the £ going down the toilet over the last few years.

All based on Intel's 'Recommended Customer Price' on ARK, forex rates from here.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2017
  17. rollo

rollo Modder

Think people don't expect AMD to just charge 1-1 pricing lol. Even if the cheapest I have saw listed at $200 for the 4 / 8 that's still £200. The average is around $300 list price. Which would still = similar pricing. The cheapest I saw the 8/16 listed was $500 up to $800 that would still mean a price in excess of £500.

With Vega basically 1 year late, a Anandtech is estimating a may - June launch window for it now. A price war might happen but not in this country sadly.

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Obviously this thread has nothing to do with politics, but when you break prices down like that it's as clear as day why Kably Lake is so expensive over here.

YAY BREXIT! :clap:

Sorry... where was I? As for Ryzen, I can't deny that it looks mighty promising, especially for somebody like me who is very much in the market for an upgrade to an 8c/16t workstation later this year. :rock:

19. RedFlames

Kinda... Breakfast obviously hasn't helped, but the £ has slid generally since Haswell's launch in 2014...

Even if we hadn't breakfasted the Sky/Kaby Lake prices in the UK still would've been higher than they were for Haswell.

20. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder