1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I overclock this lot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EARTHWALKER, 23 Sep 2003.

1. EARTHWALKER

EARTHWALKER What's a Dremel?

This is what I have.

Asus P4P800/P4P800 Deluxe
    P4 2.4CGHz
    2 x 256mb Corsair/TwinMOS DDR500

The motherboard has a nice menu to clock to 10%, 20% and 30%
    Currently I'm clocking mine at 30% so it's running at 3.12 gigs.

With my prometeia case it's still at -39c on full load but currently on -41c.

I haven't a clue about all the settings so have no idea where to start. I read that someone was running their ram at 550mhz. Once again I have no idea how to do this.

Any help to get this beast to 3.5 Ghtz would be appreciation.....maybe a packet of Jaffa Cakes in it for you :hip:

2. Sid

Sid Banned

Right, well...

Are there manual options available for setting the FSB, rather than the percentage thing? This will allow you greater control.

You're currently running a 260FSB probably (12x260=3120Mhz). Basically just gradually move that up in say 5MHz steps.

Chances are, the ram will max out long before the CPU does - you're already running the ram 10Mhz over rated. Once stability starts to go, push up the memory voltage a bit. You could push it up to as much as 3.00V. Wouldn't go any higher personally. Iceman had his up to 3.3V for a while I believe, but it won't last very long at that :)

To see how far the CPU is capable of going you can use a memory divider, but I don't advise this at all, peformance will suffer.

3. EARTHWALKER

That's for that sid. I d/l that cpuz program which told me what the multiply things were. You were very close :D 12x260.3

I can't manually alter the ram speed, but it seems to go up as I clock anyway so no probs.

This is what I have it running at now with no alteration of any voltages.

12x175.4 = 3.38 Ghtz
    Bus speed = 1104.1
    Memory Dual timing @ 275.4 = 550.8 Mhtz
    FSB RAM 1:1, 3,4,4,8
    CPU Temp @ -41c Idle. -37c Full load.

I'm happy now :D Might alter it a little bit later; see if it runs stable on this for a while.

Is it just me or does 3DMark2003 prefer nVidea cards?

4. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Where you have put the line that says "FSB RAM 1:1, 3,4,4,8"

That is where you can change the ram speed.

The 1:1 is the divider or ratio. At 1:1, 3:3 etc the RAM is running in sync with the CPU. If you changed that to 6:5 then when you have a FSB of 100 (for arguments sake) the ram runs at 5/6ths the FSB. This way you can see how far you can push the CPU without reaching the limits of the RAM by lowering the divider and raising the FSB etc. As sid said though, for the best performance run the RAM in sync with the FSB.

5. EARTHWALKER

Well now, as soon as I hit full load,my computer restarts. I think I better lower the ram speed from 400 to 320 and see if that stops it. If it does, I'll wack up the CPU fsb :D

6. Sid

Sid Banned

"lower the ram speed from 400 to 320"

:confused:

The FSB applies to both the CPU and the RAM. Standard FSB for your components would be 200MHz. Therefore the memory would be at 200MHz (400DDR).

I don't understand what you're doing. Your memory will do at least 250FSB (500DDR) therefore you really shouldn't need to "lower the ram speed".

If you're running the ram at "400" just now, you'd be running a 200FSB = no overclock.

Explain yourself, man :worried:

7. EARTHWALKER

Well in the bios setting for overclocking you have auto managed, 10%, 20% and 30%. If you select manual, you can change the memory fsb and the cpu fsb.

As I said, the machine was restarting on full load.
    The memory settings are staggered. 200, 300, 320, 400

at 400; when I was overclocking it was running at 550.8 and I believe that was the cause of the problem.

At the moment I'm running it at 320. with overclocking the cpu it has pushed it up to 432.6
    I pushed the cpu up a little more @ 270.4@12 (3.25)

I'm very new to overclocking as in the past I've simply bought high end specs. I hope what I'm doing is correct and won't cause any problems.

Since I lowered the ram speed, it hasn't crashed or restarted.

8. Sid

Sid Banned

Don't really understand that tbh. There's a few people with that board on this forum. Maybe they can work it out. Just ensure that the cpu and ram are running in-sync.

9. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk What's a Dremel?

Now this is a little obvious to most overclockers but you did say you were new.

Have you touched any of he voltages yet?

If the comp is restarting under full load it needs more voltage.

10. EARTHWALKER

Haven't touched any of them. Wouldn't know what was safe and what was not.

11. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

earthwalker, if you have the money for a prometia, why didnt you by a 2.8 or higher? mine will reach 3.5 at a 250mhz frontside completely stable, but with a cpu:ram ratio on 5:4 as i couldnt afford faster ram at the time of buying (2 weeks b4 going ti uni). with your ram you would get to 3.5 without pushing your ram at all.

12. daniel_owen_uk

Ok this is not gospel and I am sure other people will say different but this is the usual method.

1. If possible lower multiplier.
    2. Up fsb until unstable.
    3. Add voltage to ram until no difference is made/you dont feel comfy.
    4. Up multiplier until unstable.
    5. Add voltage to cpu until no difference is made/youd dont feel comfy.

That is the method for AMDs as Pentiums cant have multipliers changed (me think :)) so you will have a tougher job of trial and erroring the vram voltages (as you cant be sure its not the cpu that needs more voltage).

Basically change setting for better until unstable, add voltage. With your promieta you should be able to safely have much more cpu voltage than on air/water.

If you cant figure it out I know someone that could find a nice home for it (me :D).

13. EARTHWALKER

I bought the prometeia when they first came out. Around a year ago so don't have the fancy Mach.... ones.

14. daniel_owen_uk

Who mentioned mach?

15. EARTHWALKER

I did. Just to highlight the fact that It's been ages...over a year since I bought my case. Having a fair bit of cash then wouldn't necessarily mean I had a fair bit now.

I do like the look of the new Prommies though, almost wish I'd waited a bit longer. Still, I'm happy with mine.

16. daniel_owen_uk

I am with you.

Rich git :D

17. EARTHWALKER

Well yes I suppose I was back then; earning £15 and hour and £24 an hour after 6PM. Shame they made me redundant :grr: