1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HMV

Discussion in 'General' started by :Galokin:, 25 Sep 2003.

1. :Galokin:

:Galokin: Guest

ok a little history for u i believe.

Walking past the downstairs TV the parents were watching that bargain hunt program and they found and old B&W television set that sed "His Master's Voice" on it and a picture of a dog. This got my thinking that this company is the very music and entertainment shop we have today...HMV.

The only reason i say is cos the guy said, "Oh look its a HMV television..."

Is this true or am i barking mad? (sorry for the lame joke!)

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Sep 2003
  2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Aye - iirc that's how it came to be called HMV... Nice story really, i always used to be confused about the dog and the grammaphone

3. RTT

RTT #parp

'tis true :)

4. :Galokin:

well they say u learn something new everyday, its just a shame it was from that really annoying grey haired bargain guy! lol

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

6. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

I used to have a VICTROLA, large old console wooden radio with the label with Nipper on the inside of the lid for the phonograph... I wish I still had it, but I had gotten it for free, and sold it for $3800US. Not bad for a freebie, but I would have loved to put a computer into it now!!!(in the empty space, so not to disturb the tube radio)

7. :Galokin:

hmm thats some great info u got there cpemma, thanks very much! Ive learnt even more today!

8. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

I am really lost... :confused:

9. :Galokin:

in short its about a guy who had a dog, the dog liked the music player thingy, someone died and painted the dog wiv the music thingy, they tried to sell painting but no one wanted it, a record label bought it and used it as their logo, the record label turned into a music shop now known as HMV.

I think that about sums it up :D

10. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

U skipped a step, First a Phonograph company bought it, and sold the copyright to 2 markets of Record label, Japan and the U.S. Dumb move.

11. Laffco

Laffco What's a Dremel?

SOme thing i found out recently that interested me was that this [​IMG] was the orginal virgin logo pretty nuts :)

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Surely that isn't the Virgin as we know it... im sure Virgin wasn't around in the 60s/70s when that type of label was popular? :eyebrow:

13. Laffco

Laffco What's a Dremel?

tis the same virgin mr branson (or sir or whateva) started selling records from his bedroom when he was little

14. quack

quack Minimodder

There's a nice bit of product placement in the movie Wild Wild West when the guy with the gramaphone ear dies and his dog runs over to him and looks at it. Neat ;)

15. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Virgin started in 1970
    ...and made RB very, very rich :D

Crap record, though :sigh: