1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Considering HD5770 upgrade - suggestions invited

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Porkins' Wingman, 9 Dec 2016.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

Nvidia 970 used is in that price bracket, might take a cpu overclock to get it going full pace though.

2. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Yeh, looks like I'm looking at a 970 or RX 470 type of performance.

Bit wary of buying a gpu used though, the more I think about it...

Considering how old my 5770 is, and how many people have already moved beyond 1080p, 1080p gpus are more expensive than I was expecting :(

3. woodback

woodback What's a Dremel?

CEX has a 2 year warranty on items

4. Porkins' Wingman

Well, I guess that is worth mentioning, thanks, but they better had provide 2 years warranty at the prices I'm seeing - they're basically retail prices.

5. Porkins' Wingman

Still in limbo on my gpu issue. No hurry, but some RX 480s have come down a bit in price recently. Would my i5-750 be able to do it justice with a straight-forward overclock? (I've never overclocked a cpu before so won't want to be pushing things to the limit).

6. Metaporic

Metaporic Minimodder

You can get a 290 from CEX for £135, that will let you play most current games at 1080p on high to max settings with decent frames, you might dip to the low 40's in titles like the Witcher 3 but it should still be more than playable. If you ask around here or check Ebay you might be able to get one cheaper. You get the benefit of having a 24 month warranty with CEX though.

If you can stretch your budget, I found https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-40x-as.html, it even still comes with Doom and would suit your 1080 gaming needs for the forseable future. If I had the cash at the moment I would consider picking it up to upgrade my old 7970!

Regarding your CPU, it will hold your frames back somewhat and I would recommend overclocking it due to its low base clock. There are a lot of good guides online. Can not give you any particular advice as I have never tried to overclock a 1156 CPU. But the CPU looks to be a solid overclocker, with Tom's hardware hitting 4.3 Ghz back in the day on air, though with a voltage increase. The processor will not hold you back that much though considering its age, check out Hardware unboxed video for a comparison of every generation i5 to get a idea of where your processor would place https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxGge0tR4IM.

Last edited: 23 Feb 2017
  7. Porkins' Wingman

Thanks a lot for your useful input, Metaporic. That's the card I'm looking at, though it's about £10 cheaper somewhere else, or was.

Only thing stopping me now is that I've set myself a few goals of certain games to play in the next few months, and none of them (bar Witcher 3, which I've got on XBone instead for now) will require a faster gpu. So I figure I may as well hold off for a few more months, as presumably price/performance can only get better between now and then.

I'm still tempted by that 480 though, just to get the matter out of the way so I can forget about it, and I'm guessing it's not dropping in price fast after this recent price drop.