1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete I NEED HEALING, another Overwatch build?? DDR4 Healing - Update 08/09/17

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Maki role, 24 Nov 2016.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Some one had to ask.. Did you make that panel out of alu or is it just covered in brushed vinyl?

Brushed vinyl is so good these days that it's almost impossible to tell.

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

That's proper aluminium that.

I've got some brushed vinyl around still from Moderne, it's good stuff, although doesn't look nearly as good as the real thing up close.

3. Vault-Tec

4. Maki role

So the date for some big stuff is drawing closer. So indeed it is now time to get some of the individual mods done, first up, the GPU!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Nice work on the GPU! Love the silver blades!

6. Maki role

Well I'm hoping the next 7 days to be a VERY busy week indeed.

I think it's about time this little build was finished off eh? So how about by starting with one of the major thematic elements of the interior, the glowing katana!

Big shout out to Parvum Systems for helping me get these parts cut. These particular ones could have been done fine by hand, but I added them to the cutting list for simplicity as then I know everything will be done just right. That said, there was a huge amount to do to the pieces afterwards.

It's a perfect cut, but because it was a quick pass it's rough as hell. Lots of work with files and sanding ahead
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sanding and polishing done, now to prime for paintwork
    [​IMG]

Paint on and now you can see the buffed up aluminium.
    [​IMG]

And with the blade section attached. This is opal acrylic, so the lights underneath will cause the blade to glow
    [​IMG]

Okay, I'll fess up, why on earth did I show you a lighting feature... with no lighting? Where's the damn glowing sword!?

Well simply put, I don't have any glowing lights I can use right now :hehe: They'll be going into the build alright, but I don't have them external atm.

7. Vault-Tec

I have no idea what that is, but it looks to be well done :D

8. Maki role

Haha, it's going to be the side panel for the PSU cover. There'll be RGB LEDs underneath the opal acrylic meaning the blade itself will glow however you wish.

Took a long time to paint and polish that piece. Went through 80/120/180/320/500/1000/2000 grits first then finished with 6000 grit polish on a sponge and then 11000 grit polish on a lambswool pad.

9. Vault-Tec

I got the PSU cover part, just no idea what it is. Looks like a saw that Kenny Everett would have used in one of his Reg sketches :D

10. Maki role

And so with the next update we go!

So I went and gutted the case even further so as to make room for the new rear panel. I also went and installed most of the internal panels and structure, need to make sure everything fits perfectly before I begin painting. Things are starting to look distinctly more case-like finally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Nice job! I recently put together a Overwatch themed build too, for work though. :)

12. Maki role

After spending a while prepping everything, London got hit with the classic curse of cruddy weather. Unfortunately my workshop is now incredibly dense so painting case panels in it is simply not a good idea, so that means painting outside for now, not so good if it's constantly raining and/or windy.

Thankfully the weather recently relented and we got some honest sunshine and respite from the wind! So now the case is all primed and ready for painting the final coats. Naturally the paint I was originally using is no longer bloody available, so I caved and got a new spraygun system so that I can ditch cans and switch to proper stuff. I put in an order for a load of paint for a few builds, which should arrive Wednesday I think?

So in the meantime, I'll be working on the interior finishing touches and getting those out the door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Maki role

W00t w00t, this is a fairly important update for the log but a bigger one for me.

So you may ask, why does it take so long to paint a case? Well that would be because the paint I was using ran out of stock... everywhere it seems, and it's been raining so so so much over the last few weeks.

So I had to combat this. Until now, I had to paint large parts (like side panels etc.) outside thanks to ventilation and overspray. Thanks to the terrible weather this simply wasn't possible. As luck would have it, on the good days a couple weeks ago there was no paint available near me.

So I took a bit of a jump and instead bought an HVLP automotive paint gun and a nice, large catering shelf to use as a spray booth. Along with the gun I picked up some white car paint and thinner. Anybody reading this who's made a similar jump or works at a business that paints items will know just how much of an improvement this is over rattle-cans.

So I now have the ability to paint larger items quicker, with a higher quality finish, cheaper, indoors and in a larger variety of colours and effects! The number of positives there is mind blowing.

Progress wise the painting is now 100% complete, I'm leaving it with a matte finish so as to match the acrylic. I've also done 90% of the cabling, will be photographing that next. So in short, this build is finally, after all these months, very close to completion!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Very nice! You're stepping up your already impressive game. :)

15. Maki role

Just wait until you see what I have planned for the summer/autumn haha

16. Maki role

A delay? Nevveeerrrr...

Okay so I promise there was a good reason for it. Since this will be a giveaway build, I thought it fit to bump up the hardware spec a bit so that the eventual owner can actually enjoy using it.

So to that effect, here's a an update to the spec! A huge thank you to Gigabyte for providing the AX370-Gaming 5, it's an awesome board and should fit the build to a T.

DSC_2318.jpg DSC_2320.jpg DSC_2324.jpg DSC_2328.jpg DSC_2330.jpg DSC_2337.jpg DSC_2344.jpg DSC_2346.jpg

ying and AleksandarK like this.
  17. ying

ying What's a Dremel?

OMG this mod is awesome! Wanna see more! the GPU details of genji are really impressive :jawdrop:

Ying

18. Maki role

Some excellent news for this mod! To start, it was on display over at the Thermaltake stand at i61, and yes it has survived transport haha. That was in its 95% finished state, I was still waiting for the right DDR4 and then a few aesthetic touches to add.

Well, something VERY special rolled in today, it's the new DDR4 for the project, kindly provided by Zadak511/Apacer! Next stop, final photos!

DSC_3239.jpg DSC_3242.jpg DSC_3248.jpg DSC_3251.jpg DSC_3261.jpg
    It comes with a VR glasses set...

DSC_3263.jpg

19. Vault-Tec

I missed the part where you ACRYLIC ALL THE THINGS.

But yes, ACRYLIC ALL THE THINGS.

BTW, that's the prettiest picture of a Ryzen CPU I have ever seen Alex :D

20. Maki role

Dude you necro'd this one so hard I was able to join Bit as a staff member in the meantime :lol:

But yeah I just never got round to posting the final images up as things got swept around a bit. not very proud of this one if I'm honest so I just let it be.

DSC_6766.jpg DSC_6862.jpg DSC_6864.jpg DSC_6877.jpg DSC_6879.jpg DSC_6891.jpg DSC_6910.jpg DSC_6919.jpg DSC_6928.jpg DSC_6929.jpg