1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Chromecast

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by CrapBag, 28 Feb 2017.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Hi I purchased a Chromecast from the market place but I cant get it to connect.

It's on my wireless network as my phone can see it in its wifi settings, I have installed the google home software but when it goes to detect it, it says there are no devices.

Surely my phone isn't going to be able to connect to it through my wireless setup as the chromecast doesn't have any wifi settings in it yet.

Anyone set one of these up before?

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Try going to chromecast.com/setup on your phone.

You connect to it, enter the wifi password and you should be good to go. The chromecast itself might act as a rudimentary and open router prior to setup (essentially creating its own wireless network)....which makes me wonder if you could intercept someone's wifi password while they set one up. Probably not...hopefullly.

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh I have done that, I have the phone connected to the chromecast via wifi but still it says no devices, I connect it to my pc and still it says no devices grrrrr....

When I have it connected to the tv I can see the setup screen but I physically cannot get my phone to communicate with the Chromecast even though its connected to its router type function.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Tried on my wifes pc which runs win 7 and it gets a little further, it can see the chromecast at least but when you try to set it up it throws up an error message telling me to make sure I have the latest version of chrome.

Downloaded and installed the latest (I'd imagine) and the same thing happens again.

5. XNine

XNine What's a Dremel?

I would do a factory reset on the chromecast. Both the 1st gen stick and the 2nd gen puck have buttons on them. You want to hold the button down until the lights on the chromecast flash white.

Additionally, I've had issues with my 1st gen going in and out of my wifi network, and I believe it's actually not the chromecast but the phone that keeps switching between 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. Try to make sure that'you're device that you're accessing from is on a 2.4GHz network if you're using the 1st gen.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh I've tried resetting a few times but I did notice that my phone was set to auto so I will try the 2.4ghz thanks.

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

.....and now its working, all this hassle because I chose not to let it use my location info, why give you the option if it selecting skip stops the whole thing from working.

Apparently its setup now but still wont connect and I have followed the instructions regarding turning on upnp and making sure guest mode is off.

It really shouldn't be this hard.

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

...and now I can connect geez.

Will see if I can actually cast to my tele tomorrow.

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

It works fine now, just one silly setting messed it up.

Does anyone know if it's possible to cast directly to a Chromecast without using a router.

Part of the desire to own one of these was to take it on holiday and cast a film from my phone to the TV but it looks like I'd need to take a router with me, true?

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Casting isn’t robust enough I found and there were lip syncing issues, found it was easier in terms of quality syncing and image quality etc. to get a HDMI cable for the phone if you want to use free data plan or use a firestick with native apps with any tethering or site wifi you might have, the fire stick will cache programs in patchy network areas and lead to a reasonable experience.

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I was thinking of getting a firestick at some point, this will tie me over and let me have a play for now.

12. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I'm using a Chromecast in living room for plex and Youtube and all seems fine but a Firestick on bedroom as I can stream my TV box to it which saves having to add aerial cables.

13. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

If it's version 2 it should be able to connect with your phone in an ad hoc fashion without a wireless access point as it only needs interent access for intital setup so theoretically it should be fine to take on holiday and use like that.