Linux Your favorite Linux/OpenSource distro? Discuss...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Yo-DUH_87, 23 Sep 2003.

1. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

As the title suggests ;)

I personaly don't use Linux as a desktop os, so I'm running e-smith SME server on my server computers. Works nicely, and is based on RH 7.3, so I can add to it all I want to :D

Like to have a go at Gentoo, but I'm not sure that I have the time to play with that at the moment :grr:

Let the madness begin!

Last edited: 5 Oct 2003
  2. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

Debian is my favorite distro by far.
    I love freeBSD (non-linux).
    Damn Small Linux (DSL) fits on a business card cd and pwns :rock: .
    Evil Entity Linux is pretty good, with the exception that it's :evil: :D .
    Red Hat is pretty decent too (as long as you download the ISO's and don't pay for anything). I'm actually eager to see the stable version of Severn (RH 10).

I would really love to get myself a copy of HP-UX (the linux operating system HP created). It's discontinued and I wouldn't mind working with it. My room mate's dad worked for HP and used it and he said it was rock solid. Of course it was pretty expensive too :D .

3. Dorza

Dorza What's a Dremel?

At the moment im useing College linux, id say this is better than red hat or mandrake for the complete newcomer to linux, it has many many packages allready installed, and set up is only in two parts (partitioning (which would be easy for a novice two) and installation). Im assuming it would be very very secure cos its built on slack. im impressed with it so far. I desperately wanted to install gentoo but configureing X and getting my net connection to work was a real nightmere so i gave up onit. Hope to try the new debian when that comes out. :)

4. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

Yeah, I heard College Linux was really good. I haven't tried it though.

5. sheardjr

sheardjr Minimodder

Last edited: 23 Apr 2016
  6. white modder

white modder What's a Dremel?

just one thing to say GENTOO
    www.gentoo.org
    it is a beautiful dist
    i used red hat for a while but that is such a lame distr
    really gentoo is the best
    i have installed it together with windows 2000 of microsoft(ies) :D

7. skjvfd

skjvfd What's a Dremel?

i like SLACKWARE it is the best....

*windows can lick my B**ls

8. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

and it plans to

anyway, I like redhat, but it's the only one I've used. so I'm downloading DSL right now :D

9. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

DSL is the ****. XFce just came out with v4.0 too :rock: .

For those who don't know, XFce is a very small windows manager that looks awsome and is by far my favorite manager. www.xfce.org

10. Dorza

Dorza What's a Dremel?

Whats DSL? U talking bout broadband or a distro?

11. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

12. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

At work we're running RH8 with Ximian desktop installed.. It's really growing on me..

-scoob8000

13. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

Gentoo, of course. Installed it in April 2002 and haven't looked back. RH is the only other distro I've used, but I didn't know enough about linux to trust it (security on broadband, etc.). Installing Gentoo forced me to learn alot, but wasn't difficult.

Won't waste my time trying anything else until I have a NEED for something else. I will have to use RH again soon for school, but not on MY systems :D

14. Burnsides

Burnsides What's a Dremel?

Debian is bay far my favorite distro, the package managment is great (beat rpms into the ground). I have yet to try gentoo mainly because I do not have a computer to install it on (too much compiling on a celery 500). RH is ok, but is too bloated for me. Mandrake ... well it is better than red hat, barely. Suse isn't bad.
    I defineatly like DSL and Knoppix, I love the live CD distros, I am currently remastering a knoppix CD to create a Counter Strike Live CD server. I always have a Knoppix CD with me for emergencies, btw DSL is based off of knoppix and knoppix is based off of debian.

DEBIAN :rock:
    I run Debian unstable on my laptop and main desktop machine, which is still more stable than most bleeding edge distros. my server is currently out of comission but normally runs debian stable. The one oddball still in creation is my new firewall which will run OpenBSD (PF rocks)

15. RTT

RTT #parp

I'm sort of stuck between freeBSD (yeah ok, i know it's not linux) and slackware.

I went from redhat to debian, back to redhat, used fBSD for ages, and now made the change to slackware.

Slackware I find is much faster than fBSD on my k6/2, whether that's because slack has better support for older systems over fBSD, i do not know :p

I like very much the ports feature with BSD, and yet I love the un-cluttered-ness of slack.

Sooo... Slack is nice, so is fBSD.

But debian and redhat suck :p

note: taken from a command line only point of view :)

16. sheardjr

sheardjr Minimodder

Last edited: 23 Apr 2016
  17. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

I know, further proof that Debian is awsome :rock: . Maybe I'll try slackware and gentoo, I have the slackware ISO but I just never installed it.

Perhaps we should change this to "Your favorite open source OS"? I can't leave freeBSD and BeOS in the cold :D .

18. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Ok, ok, if you say so :rolleyes:

One of the many nice things about Linux, is it can be scaled to fit your needs. I'm running memtest86 right now, and it is one of the most awesome diagnostic programs I've used!

Couldn't bring myself to install and compile Gentoo this weekend, so I guess that will have to wait a while :sigh:

19. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

my opinions(from a command line prompt point of view of course)
    really depends on what you need it for
    if you need a nat/firewall/webserver/file server/+others and you don t have the time to install/setup/compile/tweak then e-smith(redhat based) is the best
    if you are really set on linux then slackware would be the choice because...i don t know why, i just like it over redhat/debian and the rest
    if you really need a custom made system then the biggest flexibility i have found in openbsd regarding firewall and traffic shaping...and it really works great on a p 233 mhz with rtl network cards and on an amd 133 i think with intel cards...so it s the best for me :clap:

20. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

freeBSD for me at the moment.

I tried gentoo, i learnt alot when i was installing it, but for me it was to long an install time for my liking. The other thing is i installed it on my laptop and it wasnt happy running on that so im going back to having a go with fBSD again on it :rolleyes:

Tags: