1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Etching on?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by xfile69, 4 Oct 2003.

1. xfile69

xfile69 What's a Dremel?

Ok I know I'm new to this thread, but I have been thinking about my changing my case around and need some help. I am planning on making a pic on the side of the case. Here the idea I want to do something like this Pic pf etching . Now I'm not planning on doing the same pic but something like the same idea. Ok here the hard part I know some use acrylic, plex, and glass. Now here the hard part I'm having a hard time of thinking how to start. One what would be the best piece to etch on? Acrylic? Glass? Plex? or even Temper Glass? What would be the best to do it on? Now I know Acrylic and Plex would be the easiest, but is it the best to use?

Ok another small question, in dermal there is two type of dermal out there and I have been looking at the Dremel model 395 and 398. Now I know it not much difference there but some, depending on what I'm going to cut it on. :dremel: Now there is a second part what bit would be the best to cut, on each material? Does anybody know it all the attachment fit on the 398 I have yet to see it listed on fitablity but come on it came out after the 395 it should fit on all there parts you would think hehe.

What I was thinking about was getting a piece to etch on. The first one thicker then the second one, first one is being streagth then anything that why I was thinking making it thicker. Is this going to be necessary?

OK sorry if I put this in the wrong part or that it is brought up in another part but really coulcn't find the whole answer I was looking for.

2. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

welcome to bit-tech

the 395 and 398 dremels are exactly the same except for the speed controll, was has variable speed, i think between 10,000rpm and 33,000rpm and the other has just 2 speed settings of 15,000rpm and 33,000rpm, all the atachments are compatible with eachother

im not sure about ur other questions, it looks like your gonna try and do some very dificult etching there. hope it turns out well

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

personally id go with plexi or the acrylic there gonna be easier to etch remember the depth of the cuts will determine how the final etch will apear
    do u plan on lightin the panel???
    only askin because thats wen the depth really comes into play and can look really wicked

4. xfile69

xfile69 What's a Dremel?

Yes i plan on lightening it that what I was thinking. Going to be a real hard pick for me to do, but it well be worth it. the pic I'm getting a friend to adjust alittle to make easier to ecth is this.
    [​IMG]
    The one part well be lit up in green and then the other part well be lit up red. Well that the colors I was thinking.
    Now the thing I was also wondering If I use 1/4 in temper glass on the front, I can use a smaller size in the second one, right? Maybe about 3/16 or 1/8 maybe, but I well have to play with that. The one reason I was asking about the two dermels cuase the differnce is 30,000 and 35,000 and I don't know it that well make that much of a diffence it I decide to use the hardest glass or not, or even cutting through metal.

5. xfile69

xfile69 What's a Dremel?

Oh well didn't get the whole answer I was looking for guess i'll try temper glass first. Going to do some test on tuesday see how I like it, but have to goto my mom house and get some stuff back I let her use.

6. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

Be very careful with tempered glass I have heard that cutting it after it has been put through the tempering process can cause it to violently shatter/explode into that thousands of pieces... :worried: :worried: :worried: Just warning better safe than sorry.

7. xfile69

xfile69 What's a Dremel?

No that would be like etching on the windshield glass. The temper glass i'm talking about would be off an aquirum they are tempered too well some are the good ones that is. Well also the ones that hold alot of water so they don't have to have a 2 inch thick piece to hold it together, and be able to keep it around a certain thinkness and weight.