1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Odd Question...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by deadfire, 6 Oct 2003.

1. deadfire

deadfire What's a Dremel?

Has anyone ever attempted to put a lavalamp inside their computer and change the wall outlet to attach to the PCU? or has anyone ever purchased a water cooler and put the stuff from a lava lamp in their to give it a nice cool bubbling effect?

2. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I've never heard of it, althought its feasilbly possible to put a lava lamp in ur pc, you would encounter a lil resistance running it off of ur psu since the standard size ones take the full 120v, Also they work on the same principle as hot air ballons, so the wax is melted at high temps then it rises to the top and cools and falls down again.. Those things get really hot so i'm not sure you would want one in your pc.. and that liquid is over 100 degrees Celsius dont think you would want it in your water cooling rig.

3. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

A lavalamp gets very hot, and will bring system temps up. If you put one in your watercooling, the hoses will be stuffed with wax in notime... :rolleyes:

4. xfile69

xfile69 What's a Dremel?

LOL Yah I was thinking about that myself to do to my wife computer. I have been looking for ways to make the lava then I found this site. Lava lamps There alot info on making one as for getting one from the store and converting it there some ideas on the site. Becare fun on the lava alot heat to get it going and there always the problem that most if not all that there a limit of time you can keep it on, it about 6 hours if i read right on the site.

As for the lava in the water cooler not sure that something with that mas can fit through the cooling part without clogging it, but then again there many formulas out there. Then again you can get some other type of just oil that colored flowing through the water to give the lava lamp. Hmm a resovior with color oil floating around to give the water flow effect intersting I think. Hmm maybe it just me but intersting idea depending on where you put it though, I mean come on we have some that put a big globe with electricty all over it in a case, but not it not hot though.
    note
    look at this part

Last edited: 6 Oct 2003
  5. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

What I want to do, is hook up some heat pipes running from the processor to the bottom of the lava lamp, and use yer processor to heat up the wax at the bottom, and a CCFL to light it all up.

6. deadfire

hehe

Isn't their a way of heating it up with really cold stuff? I've heard of something like it... It's a cold bulb that actually causes heat while being cold or something like that... That could cause the lava lamp to do that affect while giving off a very cold and cool looking thing....

Or maybe you could make your own lava lamp that reacts with VERY cold material, so as to freeze the inside and give the surroundings a water cooler feel :p

7. deadfire

Actually what you could do is make your own lava lamp, create a vacuum at the top which shoots down and then goes into the main bulb, use some more lubricated gel to flow around, and make it all circulate, creating a nice way to make it bubble in a ghetto way.. anyways im off to bed

8. metarinka

would a processor put out enuff heat for a lava lamp? lava lamps have a 40 watt bulb in the base, and all that light it concentrated at the wax right above

9. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

Re: hehe

Are you talking about the principle of induction? There are induction stoves, which, when you turn them on, are completely cold, but when you put a magnetic pot/caserole on it, the magnetism makes it hot. So you could maybe use some iron dust in the wax, thus heating it up. But the iron dust might make the wax too heavy to float, and the magnetism might have a somewhat negative effect on your hard drive...

10. metarinka

magnets dont effect hard drives... they already had really strong rare earth magnets in the drive to get the accurate reader arm movement...sorry bard had to correct you

11. deadfire

hmmm

Maybe you could add a little traces of iron wutever u spoke of :p Then you could possibly get it to work, but the problem would be space, but that would be cool for a small case like one with a whole in the center the you could put something like that in it... Sounds like a experiment for The All-Seeing Eye!

12. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

induction only works if magnetic flux through a conductor changes with time. Its all basic electromagnetic field theory, Maxwell's laws. To get induction, you would need to use an AC current with stationary conductors (the iron stuff). This changing flux can affect the hard drive.

13. deadfire

What if a modder on this site rigged up a little anti-magnetic box for their HDD made of a material that would prevent this type of incident?

14. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

And if we had some Chips, we could have chips & Salsa...
    If we had some salsa... :D

15. Crass

Crass What's a Dremel?

Hehe.. Yea, But still, It would look cool ;)

16. fuzzball172

fuzzball172 What's a Dremel?

17. tmerelin

tmerelin What's a Dremel?

The ghetto way would be only to have some coloured oil with the water. :clap:

You know, the oil and water would stay separate no matter what. This emulsion would not clog anything. Always when the water is moving there would be small bubbles of oil going with the flow. When you would stop the waterflow, the oil would settle on top of the reservoir

No hassle, no heat, no foreign objects, no problems :rock:

Somebody try this!!! :D

18. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Their was a picture of a MP3 box someone put a laval lamp in on hitechmods but their site has changed and and its no longer their, it was fluffy and pink and had little feet (no im not crazy :p)
    Murdoc

(i might as the owner if he still has it :)

19. deadfire

hmmmm

Seems as if I'm not the only one lava lamp crazy... It would be the coolest thing ever if u think of it... Nice LAN Party comp :)

(News: I just found out my quad I have in the shop needs to have the engine rebuilt :-(!!! Sounds as if I won't be getting my dream comp any time soon))