1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks load balancing router then wifi?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keir, 5 Aug 2017.

1. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

I'm about to get a load balancing router, but I'm unsure If I can still use the wifi on one of the hubs I'll be using.

What I'd like to know is, if I can use this:
    Virgin superhub2/superhub3 > Load balancing router > gigabit switch > all lan connections

And the wifi still work from one of the virgin hubs.

If not whats the best thing to do?
    Not looking to spend loads.
    Wifi needs to be 2.4/5Ghz.

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Nope. The wifi on the hubs will tie to just one of the connections. You'd be a client in either WAN1 or WAN2 subnet, whereas to be load balanced you'd need to be in the LAN behind your new router. You'll have to put your superhubs into modem mode anyway which will disable the wifi.

Ask me and I'll always recommend Mikrotik hAP AC (3x3 so with compatible hardware up to 450n and 1200ac) but it's £110 and you said affordable. If you haven't got that gigabit switch yet though it will do VLANs and can be configured as a five port switch if that helps.

The hAP AC Lite has only 100mbps ports and lower speeds - 450mbps AC not sure if it's 150 or 300 N - but it's around £45.

You don't tend to get good speeds at both 2.4 and 5 ghz without a little extra cost.

3. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Alright thanks, I've got an old router with DD-WRT firmware on it that can do a fair bit. I'll add that to the switch upstairs to see if I even need more speed for the wireless devices.
    If not it's a go!