A/V Vinyl Out: Impossible Mod?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gorguruga, 12 Oct 2003.

1. Gorguruga

Gorguruga What's a Dremel?

Is it possible to mod an old record player (no out sockets) with a 3.5mm (headphone) out socket. I want to connect the record player to my soundcard via 3.5mm lead for sampling audio into the pc directly from the record. How difficult is that mod, easy enough for a complete beginner?

2. Dark_Blender

Dark_Blender What's a Dremel?

If it sounds like it has just got an old larger plug you can buy adapters and still use it bro.

3. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

You can't do it directly from the LP player, you need an amplifier (just use your stereo or something).

4. Gorguruga

But how do I connect the record player to the amplifier, it has no out sockets?

5. Dark_Blender

Dark_Blender What's a Dremel?

Wait, didnt you just want have the record player go INTO the computer? If so, your comp should have an input and your comp has an amp. For player directly to speakers youll need an amp.

6. penski

penski BodMod

Or you use a soundcard that has a dedicated phono level input ;)

And to A/V it goes.

*n

7. micb

micb Minimodder

Surly the record player you have must have a basic audio output.

You will need either a serperate phono pre amplifier, an amplifier with a phono pre amplifier or as penski says a sound card dedicated phono level input.

8. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

what it has NO outputs whatsoever? as in it is a gramophone as in HMV?????? otherwise it think it may just have a cable going out to phono (two cables.. one white one red.. in this case you need a phono to 3.5" converter cable)

9. ShagBeard

ShagBeard What's a Dremel?

i think he means that it has only a built in speaker. we have one of these somewhere, crappy device. anyways, if this is the case, you will have to tap into the leads to the speakers. how to do this, im not really sure, i dont know if you can just solder on leads or what. if you arent concerned about damaging the LP too much, just take out the speaker and play around with the jacks and a set of headphones. if you decide you need an amp, do a google search for "headbanger amp" and maybe throw in minidisc or mz-r50. i have this md and i remember seeing a nice portable amp called headbanger you could build for cheap.

10. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

A picture would help a bunch. If there is only a speaker in the player, the best thing to do would be to install a switch in line with the speaker hat coul rediret the output to a 3.5mm jack. But it would only be mono, and I'd worry about sound quality.
    The other option is to try and convince somone you know who is familar with amplifier configurations is to try and get an audio connection right before it enters the preamps so you can use modern hi-fi equipment for all the amplification.

11. linear

linear Minimodder

Difficult. There's this thing called the RIAA response curve, and you need a preamp that conforms to it. You young pups (hey you kids, get offa my lawn) are used to devices that interface directly to the amp, but a turntable is not one of those devices. Any time you plugged a turntable into a receiver/preamp, you were using the built-in RIAA curve circuits in the receiver/preamp, so it looked just like plugging in a tape deck (remember those?)

http://www.paia.com/riaa.htm has the plans for bashing one of your own together, if you want to gauge the degree of difficulty, that's a fair start.

12. micb

micb Minimodder

it is probebly cheaper to buy a new turntable (pritty cheap these days) and hook that into what you need.

13. Gorguruga

Woah, thanks for the responses. Easy there, I'm a slow reader. :) Yes, it has only an inbuilt speaker, it's one of those redundant models that operates on batteries alone. I'm thinking I might buy a cheap record player instead - i bought this one last week for £10 off an auction and I assumed it would have at least one out socket of some description. Little did I know it was a Fisher Price My First Record Player. So, anyone got a suitable record player for sale? And when I say sale I mean sale.

14. Poison The Well

Poison The Well What's a Dremel?

Heh, Fisher Price. You've got to read those auctions carefully these days...

15. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Postage would be more than the thing is worth anyway.

Go to your local 'cashconvertors' (flog you old stuff here to buy drugs) they have stuff like this.