1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Wasabi SM7010 - Dell Optiplex 7010

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Laputacake, 16 Oct 2017.

1. Laputacake

Laputacake What's a Dremel?

Hi all. Welcome to my first mod. The mod is gonna be centered around a Dell Optiplex 7010 Desktop case as I've always loved the look but the design only allows SFF Graphics cards and TFX power supplies. My aim is to either fit an mAtx or ITX motherboard and my old faithful EVGA 850 G2 inside the small case. But enough of my waffling. Let's get into it.

[Project Wasabi SM7010]
    The name was taken from the Saab project done my Mighty Car Mods and I just think it sounds quite cool.

The Mod
    As I've already said I'm aiming to fit a whole gaming system inside one of these small cases and the theme will be centered around the old faithful Noctuas. I would use my NH D14 but I doubt that'd fit inside [​IMG]

The Hardware
    • Intel Core i5 6700
    • Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
    • 16GB Samsung 2133mhz
    • EVGA 970 SC
    • EVGA 850 G2 w/ blue braided cables

2. Laputacake

Let's start with the case. I've started to gut the victim but It'll be on hold until I receive my new dremel after my first met an untimely death.

[​IMG]

Compared to how it comes stock the space efficiency isn't the best compared to what i'm gonna fit inside. So far I've managed to pull out a small metal piece but the 5.25" bay is being rather stubborn and will have an appointment with Dr. Dremel

[​IMG]

3. Laputacake

Update time. After some gentle persuasion from a Dremel and some ear damage, the case is empty enough to test fit all the components and success.

[​IMG]

The Graphics card just fits. I would like to get a smaller power supply but the cost of getting a half decent SFX will probably leave me stuck with this for the foreseeable future

[​IMG]

4. deano-5

deano-5 What's a Dremel?

Keep going! I love these type of projects

5. kim

kim hardware addict

Nice idea, that tiny Dell case is cute, the fact is that your PSU really takes a lot of the free space, it would be a challenge to install WC parts, but as you're aiming air cooling ..but my question is; why placing the GPU upside down ?

6. Laputacake

Cheers. Just waiting for my new CPU and RAM atm.
    Yea, I'd like to get a smaller PSU but I really don't wanna spend so much to get a decent SFX power supply and as with the PSU if I had the budget doing a full loop inside would be pretty lit and possible. As for the GPU the riser i'm using is a 2U Riser as I can't afford one of the flexible risers. I would prefer to have it facing up but a decent one costs about £60.

7. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

love a good ol "dell mod"

8. Laputacake

Yea, I've always liked the aesthetics of their DT cases.

Lens is arriving tomorrow so glamour shots incoming.

9. Laputacake

Update time. Glamour shots as promised

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And continuing on with the mods. GPU bracket is slowly being made from the old DVD drive cage

[​IMG]

And a rough idea of where everything will go.

[​IMG]

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Holy cow! When did DILL quit using proprietary board mounts. That looks like ATX standard!
    Welcome to BitTech, BTW. :D

11. Laputacake

Thanks for the welcome. Need to get around to putting on my profile pic. As for Dell there are 4 versions of this case. I have the DT which is the same height as the mid tower version of the case with both using matx motherboards. The smaller 2 cases however use a funky motherboard size.
    [​IMG]

However none of the connection on the OEM boards are standard so using front I/O and the power button wont work so I'm yet to decide on how to still use the original power button without fitting a more standard button.