1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks UNexplanable contection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dhutch, 15 Oct 2003.

1. dhutch

dhutch Banned

for some reason my dialup conextion (56k freeserve hometime) keep dialing for no reason!!!

it not set to dial on demand or dail if droped, and also it seams to be "active" and transfering "STUFF" even when im not doing ne think!!!

i can explan it and i was wodring if someone might be hacking to my pc or somethink - whats going on dude!! :confused:

thanksd aniel

2. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Update your anti virus and also download spybot and adaware and run them. Also when connected do a netstat -a at the command prompt and see if anything is there that shouldn't be.

3. dhutch

dhutch Banned

yeah AV up-to-date
    but I dont think adware has been running (like i should) :sigh:

so i'm running that - hopfully it may help

also what IS quotes "a netstat"

thanks daniel

4. herbs

Goto start->run then type netstat -a this will so you what ports are connected to the net.

5. dhutch

dhutch Banned

urrrm yeah - i run win2k so that done work "cauld not fing netstat (or one of it compents..."

also what is the spybot site - i cannt find it for toffie

ps ad ware found loadsa (45) "things" but the problem still ocuurs :waah:

thanks daniel

6. BadOldMan

BadOldMan What's a Dremel?

Spy-bot search and destroy can be found here --> http://spybot.eon.net.au/index.php?lang=en&page=download

By what you have described it sounds like you have "dialers" on your system, these attempt to connect you to "premium" services with horrendous charge rates. Have a look in your network connections for things you dont recognise. :hip:

7. dhutch

dhutch Banned

i dont think so - it just dials the freeserve offpeak conection (0844 number)

and theres certainly nowthink it the dailup and networking folder other that the three freeserve numbers and the LAN

8. dhutch

dhutch Banned

also i found the netstat thing - but what does it all mean - when should it display (or not display) what???

there is defintaly somethink dodgey going on - cos as well as conection without being asked it is uploading sh*t loads a stuff - even if my downloading some think (eg spybot) the bytes sent overtakes the bytes recived :S

thanks so far daniel

also i heard that it is a good idea to close all the ports your not useing (eg the VPN port) - but i cant rember where - or how it sayed to do it

9. herbs

Download zonealarm and don't give programmes other than internet explore access then download spybot and run that.

10. dhutch

dhutch Banned

yeah right

scan pc with:
    -adware - found loadsa stuff - now properly squadaled to scan daily

-spy bot (serch and destory)

-spy killer - it thinks its found 61parasites but some of them i know arent - and it whats $84 before it will even try and emove them - so i didnt pay

-installed and ran zone alarm which keaps thinking its stoping dodge stuff - and when i close the conextion sudenly starts doing "STUFF" again - so i think its working :)

and also since i ran adware it has stoped dailing with out being asked:)

so i think avering think i back undercontroll and i've added running and updateing adware, zone alarm and spybot (forgetting about spykiller) to my list of things to do regualy (daily)

thanks to all that helped danel

Tags: