1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless 'hangover'?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by krakatoa3, 1 Dec 2017.

1. krakatoa3

krakatoa3 How hard can it be??

Hi all,

I hope you can advise on some problems my parents seem to be having with their internet connection, as whilst I'm definitely not an expert I feel some of the advice from the ISP has been less than adequate.

- It was commented upon that there were too many items connected to the router, the lady then proceeded to list off about 12-14 different devices. However, the router was replaced about 2 weeks ago and half the devices are no longer in the house or work? Therefore have never connected through this new router? I've tried searching for ways to clear any device history from a router to try and speed it up, but there doesn't seem to be any information available.

- The internet 'failure' is also a complete shut-off of all access (ie, try and run a speedtest and it won't connect to the test server), rather than a simple slow down. Again, I'm no expert, but I'd have thought that having more devices will divide the available bandwidth by the number of devices, so there should still be some form of access?

As a result, parents have been encouraged to sign up (and pay more for) a faster service, can anyone ease my mind that that is the correct call to make, or is my nagging suspicion correct?

Thanks,
    Kraka

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Do a factory reset, and change the default password. Once changed only the devices you wish to connect will be able to do so.

The number of devices connected, however, should have no bearing on connection speed unless thay are consuming bandwidth (connected to the internet).

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

If the router's been replaced, that's unlikely to be the culprit. Likewise "too many devices connected" is just weasel talk from the ISP and a cunning way to get your parents to upgrade.

Do your parents use a microfilter, or do they have an ADSL faceplate? If there are microfilters, make sure there's nothing else plugged into another extension socket without a filter. Try replacing the microfilter - I've had a few go bad over time, and the common symptom does appear to be frequent Internet disconnections.

If they've got a modern NTE5 filtering faceplate, perhaps try replacing it? I've never head of a faceplate going bad, but I guess it could happen...

4. krakatoa3

krakatoa3 How hard can it be??

Thanks for the advice guys, I've reset the system and changed the name/password etc and slowly added devices one by one. Did not make a difference.

They've also got an ADSL plate, which was swapped out a couple of times the last time there were issues with the line. With all said, I'm fairly certain that the problem is somewhere beyond the house. Large numbers of houses have been built recently so I wonder if the connection was accidentally damaged during construction or if there is now an overload on at the local ISP hub.

Thanks for the help though guys!