1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete InWin 509 mod - Project Purity

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dietec, 2 Jan 2018.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I wish I had the balls to paint mobos lol. It looks great :)

Defyant Mods and Dietec like this.
  2. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Started cutting out some airholes from this acrylic top panel. Took me TWO HOURS just to get this far! Definitely not worth the effort, especially because I can't make it perfect looking.
    [​IMG]

It does line up with the holes pretty good though.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I asked v1tech to save me and they were willing to help out. Now I've got a perfectly laser cut top panel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The one he cut was only 1/8" though, so I had to add another 1/8" sheet under it with some cutouts for magnet tape and a screen that I plan to attach under the honeycomb holes for dust management. The magnet tape is held on by some VHB tape, and it's perfectly lined up with the edge of the acrylic. This thing is awesome :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not really sure what kind of design I want to put on it yet but I do know the background is going to be blue.
    [​IMG]

3. _Prometheus_

_Prometheus_ Minimodder

:jawdrop::dremel::thumb:
    I without laser cutting wouldn't undertake such project.

Dietec likes this.
  4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You might have got the mesh hand cut with fine files and a more precise pattern, (Switch to ultra-fine point sharpie or mechanical pencil,) but it would have been really painful. Patterns like that make the tiniest mistake stand out. Laser was your best option.

Dietec likes this.
  5. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

10/10 for effort tho man! it takes massive skillz to cut plex like that by hand... years ago i started a mod called Defyant's Web...... just the name says it all :D needless to say i gave up on it .....
    All my old plex flames i cut by hand ! but i remember spending maybe 30 hours+ on 2 sets of flames......

Looking good tho man, it's good to have a mate like V1 :rock:

Dietec likes this.
  6. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Oh yeah. Really considering getting my own laser now, that was just way too convenient. Just can't get the same level of perfection with power tools

7. _Prometheus_

_Prometheus_ Minimodder

Dietec, i'm your father.
    imyourefather.jpg

Dietec likes this.
  8. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Started painting things.
    [​IMG]

Just used some vinyl to mask off these lines, the paint job isn't perfect but you have to look pretty closely to see the imperfections. I still haven't mastered painting I suppose
    [​IMG]

Found some random screen in a pile of trash and cut some of it out to act as a dust filter for the air holes in the top panel. Painted it white and hot glued it in place
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's how it looks! Front panel still isn't finished, so no shots of that yet.
    [​IMG]

9. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Started on the front panel! Gotta make it look as sleek as everything else now :)
    [​IMG]

Had to rip this piece off the front before I painted it. It's just there to light up and be pretty, I decided to replace it with my own slightly customized lighty-upy thing. I wouldn't have been able to paint it if I left it on anyway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just put some vinyl decals on that acrylic piece, painted it, and ripped off the vinyl. Then reattached the glass
    [​IMG]

Done with the case mod! Still have to build the computer and water loop so I'm not closing the log, but the actual case is now finished!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

If you prefer mod progress in video form, here ya go!

_Prometheus_ likes this.
  11. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Im Def ganna steel that magnetic dust cover idea :D looking really nice man i'd be pretty darn happy if that was my daily pc !

Dietec likes this.
  12. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

This mod is now FINISHED!! Just editing the video mod log and then on to a new project :dremel:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Part 3 of the video mod log