1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors advanced driving courses

Discussion in 'General' started by samuelellis, 21 Oct 2003.

1. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

anoyne else here ever considered or taken a advanced motoruing course?

im considerign it at the moment

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm thinking about taking one - i haven't even passed my standard driving test yet...

3. olv

olv he's so bright

erm not passed my standard yet lol. got that coming up in a few months (*****s in pants*) after i plan to do that Pass Plus thing but thats not really advanced driving lol. I really want to do some proper advanced driving courses in the future though. Day at the track being taught how to drive like the pro's. Would love a go at rally driving aswell :D

4. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

What do you guys learn on an advanced course?

5. -Rx-

-Rx- What's a Dremel?

Does rallying count??

Did a course last year in an AE86 Toyota Corrola, on mud and gravel stage, was well cool, especially when the heavens opened!

It got wellllllllll slippy :D

Got fastest driver of the day award too :rock:

/edit..... it was at a place called Drive It All about 20mins north of Oxford, did the Mintex Rally Driving Course, cost about £200 iirc :)

Would deffo go again (if i could afford it!)

6. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

I'd like to do one with the police, never gotten round to picking up any forms!! However, I'm not entirely sure as to the insurance saving benefits, I find some companies either quote the same/more/refuse if you add "IAM License" dunno, maybe they think you'd be more dangerous pushing the car to far?

7. RaptorLord

RaptorLord What's a Dremel?

I'm not entirely sure what its like in the UK, but I don't know of a state-endorsed advanced driving liscense in the States. I have the opportunity to attend police academy driving school (my father used to teach it), but just haven't had the time. Also I have attended several "advanced drivers" road course events through the local BMW car club chapter - awesome stuff!

8. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Don't bother with any advanced courses (apart from Pass Plus) if you plan on doing it for insurance reasons. As Phat said, it will probably hike up your insurance (especially as a young driver).

9. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

my step-mother has passed the Advanced driving test, but she still drives at 30mph. So why did she do the course? It's not like she drives sideways or rally's her fiesta around Tesco's car park! (although it could be fun). It's seems to be too expensive to be worthwhile for any insurance decrease.

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Pass Plus is the only one worth doing for insurance reasons. Im pretty sure Insurance companies can't put your insurance up for doing any other courses unless the reason behind driving the car has changed (say from 'leisure' to 'commuting/work use').

Pass Plus took my insurance down ~£250 in the first year I was driving so it's defiantly worth it!

11. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Shame pass plus only works if you pass within a year of passing your test.. *sigh*

It pretty much gives you a years no claims straight off.

12. Adam

Adam Minimodder

I did Pass Plus....

Cost - £70
    Insurance discount - £1200

Can't complain ;).

13. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

& i think i destroyed my pass plus discount now anyway

but tbh i dont really care if passing the advanced driving test gices me a discount

you can tell i come from a long line of drivers cant you

14. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

I passed my IAM about 10 years ago :worried: and it brought down my insurance alot (about 40%) in the first 2 or 3 years. As I'm now getting on a bit it doesn't seem to reduce it by that much, about 5-7%, the same amount you get for fitting a tracker. For me I took the test because I could, the reduction in insurance was a bonus

15. -Rx-

-Rx- What's a Dremel?

Yeah, i wouldnt do these courses just for the insurance discount either....

....If the experience gained save you from having even 1 accident, you have come out on top really!

Tags: