1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Going to treat myself to a new phone.

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 17 Feb 2018.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks to Barclays and PPI I am in a position to buy a decent phone rather than the cheapo Chinese one I currently use.
    My only criteria is that it needs to have a big screen, 5.5 minimum preferably 64Gb of storage. I am leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 but there are a few others than might suite.
    Huawei Mate 10 pro, Pixel 2XL, LG V30 are three others. Not sure about an Iphone as there is just something about the company I just don't like but in the end I would still buy.

Any thoughts?

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

After experiencing Samsung support and the knuckle-headed, dim-brained, cack-handed monkeys at Anovo I won't be buying any more of their products.

LG do have support but if you do it online it's painfully slow as they only reply once a day every couple or so days so problems can take weeks to resolve.

I think that Huawei are one of those companies who don't believe in wasting time doing updates and from personal experience have little interest in the product or the customer once they've sold it.

I'd probably go for a Pixel2 XL but be aware that there have been criticisms of the screen colour when viewed from certain angles but you get stock android and regular updates albeit limited to a guaranteed 3 years.

Personally my next phone will probably be one of the higher end Chinese phones.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have had reasonable support from Samsung, not great but the issue I was having with my TV was eventually solved.
    The problem with the Chinese phones is the lack of support, I bought one from Eglobal and they were horrendous to deal with.
    Thanks for your input.

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

If you google 'samsung anovo complaints' you'll find that Anovo don't have a trustworthy reputation for competence or honesty when it comes to avoiding phone and tablets repairs or damaging the ones they do.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

What or who is Anovo?

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Anovo is the company Samsung outsource tech support to.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Oh right, cheers.

8. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

I recently switched from my creaky, crippled battery Nexus 6P to a OnePlus 5T.
    It's pretty much lovely all over.

I was looking at a Pixel 2, it would have been my third Google phone, but the horror stories about defects and issues scared me off it.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks I have pretty much decided on the 5T as I had a look at the S8 yesterday and I was not impressed and as for an Iphone, Apple really does not do it for me,as company so that is a no no.

10. dosmel

dosmel What's a Dremel?

OnePlus 5T is a decent phone, though it doen't have a card slot.

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

With 128GB of storage I doubt whether I would ever need it.

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Just pulled the trigger on the 5T

13. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

If I was going back to Android I’d probably go OnePlus myself. Good shout I reckon.