1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new hardware acting strange

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by netpapa, 22 Oct 2003.

1. netpapa

netpapa What's a Dremel?

My VIA M10000 is acting strange.

It reboots when it wants if I'm running Media Player, Messenger, and Opera at the same time. It may last a week, it may last an hour but eventually it reboots.
    Using the mobo sensor via bios, my CPU is running at 59C which sounds high to me but I have no clue what is acceptable. I have the factory 20mm cpu fan, a 92mm intake, and an 80mm exhaust. Is this temp. ok? The air from the exhaust port feels fairly cool... less than room temperature anyway.
    Is temperature even my problem? Here is how it sets (black one on the bottom).

Also, my Samsung 171V is fuzzy. It was fine on my old PIII and fine on my VIA until I added a 1.8 meter extension cable to it. I read somewhere that 3.6 meters (my total length) is not too long for a monitor cable. The only other change is that I've bundled my wires together and so the montior cable is running along the power, keyboard and mouse, and speaker wires. The monitor cables are supposed to be shielded but is this a problem?

2. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

3.6 meters is definitely long for a monitor cable for a high-res monitor.

Although if you paid a good amount for your extension cable [ aka it's a thick, uber-quality piece of cord ] it should handle it.

3. netpapa

netpapa What's a Dremel?

Would I be better off to buy a one piece 3.6 meter monitor cable instead of my current two 1.8 meter cables? I know the new cable is high quality but I don't know about the cable that came with the monitor.

4. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Try switching the two, then using just one, then just the other. Then two again.

BTW what res are you running at?

5. netpapa

netpapa What's a Dremel?

1280x1024 @ 60Hz (native to this monitor).

Before I set the cpu in it's final location, it ran off of a single (the factory supplied) 1.8 meter cord. I thought the extension might be the problem but I really need the longer cord.

My real concern is that the shielding is not enough and I'm just getting interferance. Very consistant interferance. The display never changes.
    Bios screen looks the same as always. Make a difference?

6. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Then it may just be the extension, 1280 x 1024 is an easy to interfere with signal, as it's incredibly sensitive to noise.

You could try seperating it from other cords. Try that subwoofer cable/cable TV wiring trick, where you lay your sensitive cables perpendicular to that of it's interfere-ers.

Alternatively, you could add extra shielding.

As you know, shielding is basically any magnetic metal wrapped around the signal wires then grounded. Look up a guide on how to do this though, as I don't really know. :lol:

7. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

take the extension off, it should be fine then, a lot of cheap extension cables will blur/ghost the image at 1024x768 with a high refresh, or 1280x1024, just because the cable isnt very good. Get a single cable the length you want, look to spend £20-30, it's well worth it. If you want to try sheilding the cable you have try wrapping it in aluminium foil(make sure to tape it on).

I've had this problem in the past, it has always been the cable itself.

8. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Yeah, I'm dealing with a cheap cable on one of my LCDs in my dual monitor setup, it can definately cause ghosting/fuzzyness due to signal interfearance. I have found that moving possible sources of interfearance away (such as AC cords) helps a lot, but there still is a little bit of diffrence between the one on the good cable and the one on the cheap cable...

You would think I'd just shell out the $20 for a good cable, but that would be too easy :p

9. netpapa

netpapa What's a Dremel?

Thanks, I'll get a replacement this weekend.

I spent $10 on the extension and since it is a Belkin, I thought I'd done well.