1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Qns on Waterblock + Radiator (at least...)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JebJoya, 11 Feb 2002.

1. JebJoya

JebJoya What's a Dremel?

Hi, I'm within, err... 24hours of ordering some of my stuff for my first case mod, getting the basic stuff (i.e. none of the computer components, or probably pipes for that matter, just the case + modding stuff for that), and was about to put in my orders (at both tekheads and case sensitive), when I noticed Case Sensitive were selling water blocks... http://www.case-sensitive.co.uk just wondering whether these are any good, and which one I should look at for an Athlon XP, since (from my limited knowledge) all 4 seem to be compatible...
    Second, I'm going to a car breakers on Wed/Thu, and need to know what I should be looking for. I've seen suggestions for 3 things, the AC Radiator (which surely is gonna be difficult to find in old UK cars...), the Oil Radiator (which is gonna have oil residue in, surely... here comes fairy liquid...) or the Heater Matrix (or something like that, which I have no idea what it is....). Which piece would people suggest (for a bit of a budget... I'm not gonna like +£30 really... if they all are then I will, but I'd rather have it cheaper if there's little difference... you know what I mean!)

Jeb (I'm a n00b FFS! this is my 1st mod, don't laugh at my crappy questions please!)

2. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

Welcome to the forum. All of the waterblocks you are looking at are for the AMD. The models you see are by swiftech - www.swiftnets.com - and are easy to fit. Do not get the BTEC versions unless you want to use a peltier with them. The site link will also give fitting instuctions etc so you can see how easy they are to use. The model is in the process of being replaced by a better model which should be in the UK soon. Tekheds also sell water blocks by the likes of danger den called the maze 2 series and are also worth looking at. Both blocks are good and you will be happy with them both. I have the swiftech 462, but am going for the maze 2 next. For purely future proofing the likes of the maze 2 1/2 attachments is very good as it has the hose size that most peeps are moving to.

Go for a copperheat exchange/matrix. You will find it behind the dash of a car and it is a real pig to get too. It does however have good heat transference properties.

Lastly, don't worry about asking questions, how do you think we learnt.;)

3. weazel666

weazel666 What's a Dremel?

sos for dredging this up again titch ... but more info on heatercores, and what's been found went to a scrapyard today
    i would personally go for one of the dangerdens, the swiftechs fittings just look a but fiddly to me .... are they quick realse titch?

4. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

The Swftech connections are fantastic. Your stick the pipes in - done. No leaks or anything. To get them out - push clip and out they come. Easily the best design I have seen. I am still getting the Danger Den myself though.

That was a good thread we all did on the scrapyard one. Well worth the plug.

5. JebJoya

JebJoya What's a Dremel?

it has to be said that i was reading along with that thread as it was being posted, however, with my limited knowledge i found it a little difficult to follow. Specifically, that post was the reason that I mentioned oil rads, because (i know this is prob. me getting the wrong end of the stick) the 3rd post on page 2 (weasel666, pics of fusion 2 next to something which he doesnt mention, which i thought (dont ask me why) was an oil rad)... Aha, reading on its a heater matrix... going to car breaker 2moz with my friend (Phatboy, you might know him from [H]ard-OCP forums i guess...), so I'll see what I can get (that is if his mum's car gets fixed by tomorrow...:rolleyes: heehee)

Thanks a lot for the help, this is going with my file of printouts from bit-tech!

Jeb

6. JebJoya

JebJoya What's a Dremel?

Sorry about this, but looking at links ive noticed another couple of things, is the danger den maze 2 1/2" substantially (is that spelt right?) better than the almost £15 cheaper (but only £10 when you add P&P to the case sensitive as im getting nothing else from there...) MCW372-B, and where can I get the 1/2" tubing from (tekheads only seem to do 3/4"...)

Thanks again

Jeb

7. weazel666

weazel666 What's a Dremel?

piping here it's only in 30m rolls tho .. only about £15 tho ... delivery is free as far as i've noticed ... other than that i would sugest you try and find a local aquaruim shop

8. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

The honest answer has to be, I do not know. I have never seen anywhere that has done a roundup test to see. I suspect that it might well be yes, but I have no evidence to back the statement up.

As to the tubing, both B&Q and Home base sell 13mm tubing (.5mm oversize) for 79p a metre.

9. JebJoya

JebJoya What's a Dremel?

Grr.

I was in town, and forgot to get the address, so phoned home and found one in quite close and walked all the way there (didn't think to phone... dang.) with Phatboy, and after 1 hours walk found it was someone's house who had no idea about any car breakers. :mad: grrr.....

Jeb

(I did get some nice lighting from Maplin though, Phatboy got 2 cold cathodes which were still in stock, and I got some Ultra or Hyper (or something, the brightest anyway) 5mm LEDs in bl00 and red (yay!) to go on the HDD LED circuit design from bit-tech (except with brighter red LEDs))

10. newhit

newhit What's a Dremel?

Hi from a n00b;)

From what i've learnt from websites and setting up my own system the things that seem to make the diff are good flow rate together with a good size heatercore rad. modded my swiftech with 3/8 internal dia barbs but danger den with 1/2 inch should be even better. A good size heatercore should hang on to the water longer without restricting flow thus giving better cooling. Transmission coolers, according to the article i've read, (http://www.overclockers.com/articles481/) do restrict flow. Various websites i used were..........
    overclockers.com (where else:) )
    DansData.com
    Procooling.com
    VYW
    gaming3d.com (Dtek coolercore review)

11. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

The article you are looking at is the bible of radiators. If you look at previous threads you will find that the likes of weezle666 etc have been seeking the land of heater cores / matrixs to find that allusive, perfect radiator. We will find the right one in the end.

You will find that we are mainly seeking the land of great 1/2 pure flow here as well.

Talking of waterblocks, have a look at www.digital-explosion.co.uk who have made their own true 1/2 water block like the ones sold from dkcustoms.com. The danger den, though has 1/2 ends, is not a true 1/2 block.;)

12. newhit

newhit What's a Dremel?

You could try Serck Intertruck .......

www.serckintertruck.co.uk
    0121 717 0007/0071
    sales@serckintertruck.co.uk

My local dist. tel. no. is 01253 890959 (North West England)

13. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

I have already looked down that route - they make a performance cooler for the mg metro, good size & cheep - but if you look at the article, though serk one it was more affected by the flow rate, whilst the matrix and big momma were more forgiving and thus I am more likely to be able to get better results. That is why I went the route I have.

Tags: