1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Questions on custom cables

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jamsand, 23 Apr 2018.

1. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Hi there I'm quite nervous around electronics specifically my PSU as I'm scared I'll blow something up or start a fire so I want to clear a few things up before I start to make my custom cables.

I'll be making a 24 pin and an 8 pin to start with for an older AX850. The first question I had was where do I get the PSU side male in sockets. It appears to be 18pin & 10pin are they a standard shape or do I need to get them specifically for the psu? likewise for the 8 pin is it just a standard shape?

A lot of the guides I'm looking at are all using 16 AWG instead of 18 AWG how much of a difference does this make on the final look and feel of the cables? as my crimps go 18-24 and 24-30 so I'm not sure if I'd be able to do 16 AWG with my crimps without just crushing the cable all the time.

thanks for the help :)

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

It's a while since I've bought any connectors but ShakMods stocks them. Generally PSU manufactures use stock Molex connectors.

In the UK you'll be looking at 24/0.2 wire size which is roughly the equivalent of 18AWG and is fine for most uses. The exception being for 4 pin Molex type connectors where you have to be careful not to overload the single 12V or 5V wire by installing too many components using it, ideally splitting them between multiple connectors.

3. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

I think the only thing that'll be 4 pin will be my D5 everything else should be hopefully plugging right into the motherboard(still trying to work outfan and WC layout)

4. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Wrong thread lol

Last edited: 24 Apr 2018
  5. Big Elf

Contact me if you need any help. Use my email address if you still have it otherwise pm and I'll send it again. I very rarely participate in the overclock.net forum these days but it's usually good for (historic) helpful advice..

I failed to mention that the same principle regarding overloading power cables also applies to SATA power especially for mechanical hard drives. You're good for 4 drives using 24/0.2 at least though.

6. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

Pexon PC's does all of the bits and bobs you need - I'm just about to do an order from them for a custom cable job - think either the 18 or 10 pin ATX's are out of stock at the mo though.

As for crimpers, I'm assuming you have the proper die style crimp tool for uninsulated crimps and not the more common (e.g. the reds, blues and yellows) insulated type?

7. Big Elf

He's got the 1st version of the MDPC-X Crimper.