1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 doesnt recognise HDD conected externally (USB) of another windows 7 installation.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Intron, 21 Aug 2018.

1. Intron

Intron What's a Dremel?

I have a drawn a blank and feel i am being stupid.
    I have 2 Windows 7 Laptops... One is a fresh install with no drivers so no USB ... or anything like that.
    The second laptop has no CD writer or DVD writer so i am stuck at putting the drivers on to anything... short of removing the hard drive from the clean installed laptop and connecting it externally to the other machine to copy the drivers over.

I do this... but it then shows as Not Initialized ... if i initialize it i am going to loose the windows install.

So if i flip this and copy the drivers over first and the put the HDD in the laptop to install windows it always formats the drive no matter what and this goes for a partition as well it just cant see the hard drive and blats it out.

So i am at loss to get round this problem to get the drivers onto the laptop. (I will get the burn a CD in a few days when i am back in the office as i have no ability to write CD's or DVD's from home now :( just wanted to get this done sooner rather than later)

Any advice on getting round this is appreciated.

2. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

You could try creating a new boot disk and inserting the drivers you need. There's a tool called NLite that will allow you to manipulate the windows installation and add your own drivers.
    https://www.nliteos.com/index.html
    It takes a bit of trial and error to get it working, but once you have your drivers added it will work a treat.
    You can put the boot media on either DVD or USB. The fun part is getting the right driver to allow it to boot from USB :)

Intron likes this.
  3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Can you see the drive in diskpart?

4. Intron

Intron What's a Dremel?

Yes, I even used it to convert from MBR to GPT at one point when i formatted in MBR by mistake at one point.

Chairboy thanks for the input ill take a look but that might have to be what i resort to :D

Apologies for not replying sooner i have been distracted with work and other things! Appreciate the help