1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks network ip's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elspuddy, 16 Feb 2002.

1. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Minimodder

can i use a 10 base ip adress on my netwark and still let my pc's have internet access ?

2. Burwell

Burwell What's a Dremel?

I think I understand what you are asking. You want to share you internet connection with other computers on you network (Which have 192.168.x.x IP addresses). If that's what your asking you need a computer with two NIC cards that will act as a router and a hub. An even easier way to go about this is to buy a linksys or netgear router. If this is not what you meant please post a clearer explanation of what you want to do.

3. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Minimodder

nope, i'v allreay got the connetion shared with windows 2k ics, i'm just wondering about ips,
    at the mo the ip range i'm useing is 192.168.0.* , i just wanted to know if i couls changes the ip's to 10.10.* and still give my pc a net connetion

4. Burwell

Burwell What's a Dremel?

You should be able to. My school uses 10.x.x.x IPs for the computers in the school. I'm not shure how do do it though.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2002
  5. vipmehta

vipmehta What's a Dremel?

Hello,

Well Yes and No.

Yes you can use 10.X.X.X range for home use as this is a private address range.

How windows ICS works it that it assigns 192.168.0.1 to the PC with the net connection and enables PAT (Port Address Translation) to share the connection.
    It also enables a DHCP server on this machine.

This server will provide any other PC connected on the network with an IP address between 192.168.0.X - 192.168.0.254

It will also provide a gateway, primary, and secondary DNS of 192.168.0.1

I would recommend that you leave this at 192.168.0.x. range unless you need more than 254 IP addresses.

6. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

if it wasn't win2k it would be easy.

there is probably a way to force win2k to use different ips, but it would be bloomin difficult.

Tags: