Planning Bitfenix Phenom M as NAS

Discussion in 'Modding' started by birdie, 14 Sep 2018.

1. birdie

birdie What's a Dremel?

I’m building myself a new computer and I’ve had an idea to use my current PC as NAS running FreeNAS or similar. It’s a Core i5-3470 3.2, running on AsRock B75 Pro3-M, RAM is TBD, it currently has G.Skill 16GB DDR3 but I think that will be going into my new PC (i5 4670K so still DDR3).

Now the current PC case is a Bitfenix Phenom M, which stock doesn’t really have a huge amount of space for 3.5” HDDs. I’m planning on putting in 6 drives (3x 2TB and 3x 1TB). Any suggestions? I was thinking I could possibly build some mounts to stack them just behind the PSU. Anyone else modded this case to fit more hard drives?

Excuse the mess, I’ve been pulling stuff in and out while testing my new PC (the GTX 1060 is going into my new PC). You can see the current single 3.5” mounted to the floor just behind the PSU, so as far as space that’s probably the best spot?

I’d rather mod this case if I can than spend any more money... Also this PC will be used to replace my existing NAS which is an old ReadyNAS Pro 6 “modded” to run the latest 6.9 firmware. (Based on an old Pentium E5300 2.6Ghz with 2GB RAM)

Any suggestions?
    5AED1E38-9CBE-4132-99D8-0E8B7D67C23D.jpeg

2. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

meccano is your friend when trying to more add hdds into a case.
    but you could easily nock a hdd bracket with some aluminum as well

[​IMG]