1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other BT Hub & sky wireless box

Discussion in 'General' started by wolf5ster, 14 Oct 2018.

1. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Just wondering should the sky wireless box be ok with another providers box, before I spend on powerline adaptors. Has anyone else tried this?

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Which Sky wireless box exactly? If you mean the Sky Broadband router, you can't use it on another ISP, they lock it down.

3. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

It's a little black WiFi box powered by an adaptor, plugged into the ethernet port of the older sky HD box. Plugged in the back of the youview box at the moment Netflix and Amazon works. Not able to get comedy central or Gold channel, an error please check your connection, but can get them in the BTTV app on my S8.

EE put me on a deal, BT fibre with BT entertainment starter £36 including line rental, router and box came last Wednesday and activated on the Thursday. I've done a speed test on the line 46mbs download speed.

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Assuming to mean the WiFi to ethernet box (like this: https://accessories.sky.com/catalogue/products/sky-on-demand-connector ) connected to a BT TV box, then it seems it would be just a dumb adaptor so would work okay. However it does mention "fast" ethernet (so not gigabit), and it may also have some non-standard things that allow it to talk to the Sky Box. So if you are having connection issues it could be some compatibility problem.

You don't necessarily need to go powerline though, as a non-sky wifi to ethernet adaptor should do the job if the signal is fine. Do BT TV boxes not come with WiFi built in these days?

5. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

I've just watched the Black Panther perfectly through the Now TV app and due to licencing I can only get the movies. I have a chromecast hooked up to the TV for other stuff. Which is probably saving me nearly £40 a month from full blown SKY. I did cancel before but they persuaded me with a good offer, non sky Q including all sports and movies for £46 which crept up to £64, this time they offered me a package for £37 but told me costs would rise over the 12 months.

I have the basic you view box through BT but have asked this evening for the recording box (You view+) and they are sending one out FOC. Unfortunately not built in wifi on any BT box.

Ditched the sky wireless controller and gone with a couple of tp link powerline adapters, trying to do it on the cheap was a no go.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2018