1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ok so Barton XP2500+ with which Heatsink

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChegsJAR, 3 Nov 2003.

1. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

I know this has come up so many times and I know there is the poll to see what heatsink people are using.
    I was looking at getting the ALPHA PAL8045. No where seems to have them in stock so I'm looking for a second hand one see For sale/wanted forum.

What other options do I have?
    I want to over clock it and hopefully get up to xp3200 speeds.

theres the Thermalright SLK-800A and the Thermalright SLK-900A but I don't really have £30 to spend on a heatsink :(
    so maybe second hand?
    Where would you suggest looking?
    Would you even suggest trying second hand?

2. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk What's a Dremel?

Give me a month or two and you can have my slk900 :D (going to water cooling), however I haven't seen many around the forums that I visit (and I visit a fair few).

Fraid you may have to fork out for it.

However I will say excellent choice in HS.

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Alpha is a good sink as well.... may well be best to buy one new, as then you know the condition its in, and that there aren't any scrathes or dints in the base :D

4. Fubie

Fubie What's a Dremel?

Right now I'm using the Thermalright SK-7 with an 80mm Thermaltake Smart Fan II on an XP 2500+ and I'm running average 50ºC (full load) o/c @ 2200MHz. When I bought the SK-7 it was $20 cheaper than the 800, but prices are dropping on the 800's and 900's.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

Have a look at the vantec aeroflow, it's sposed to be a good cheap heatsink :)

6. ChegsJAR

the vantec aeroflow looks ok but most reviews say its not much good for overclocking.

So maybe Thermalright SLK-800A at £30 or Thermalright SK-7 at £20.

Does anyone know if you can compare the two?

wow its heavy!

Wasn't there a sticky once about heatsinks that were too heavy?

Last edited: 4 Nov 2003
  7. Tim S

Tim S OG

yep, we decided that it was a bit outdated, and would have needed a lot of updating... It served it's purpose, but there are still some heavy heatsinks out there!

If you want a good heatsink for overclocking, you're going to have to spend money, I'm afraid there's no cheap way to overclocking, you need a good quality heatsink! :)

8. ChegsJAR

ok I have given in.

£30-£40 now if thats doesn't buy me something nice then I will cry all over my nf-7s and have to send it back again :nono:

9. Fubie

Fubie What's a Dremel?

Wow I know the exchange rate and all, but I believe you can find the SK-7 for much less than that. I purchased mine for $17.95≈£10.69
    I now see that the 900A can be had for $29.95 and the 947U is the new expensive kid on the block at $39.95.

Does anyone know if Thermalright is going to make a version of the SP-94 Heat Pipe cooler for AMD procs?

10. ChegsJAR

wow
    thats £17.95 ish for a heatsink you would pay £37 for at ocuk.

How much would shipping me though? lol
    and you would have to pay import tax so in the end it would probally be the same price :(

Last edited: 4 Nov 2003
  11. batsman

batsman the quiet one

i've got an coolermaster aero 7 lite on mine running @ 2000 rpms so quiet and that gets to about 48 load and around 44 idle

Last edited: 5 Nov 2003
  12. Fubie

Fubie What's a Dremel?

I would be glad to help but your are right about international shipping and taxes bringing the price up. I discovered that Thermalright has discontinued the SK-7. I can't find it being sold anywhere around the US now. I searched all the internet retailers I could find and still nothing. Let me know if I can help with anything else!