1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project WebPal Re-born - almost complete.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by KrazyIvan, 22 Oct 2003.

1. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Most likely, yes.

2. KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan What's a Dremel?

I'll have to think about it. I was just going to extend the wires and have the power supply under my desk somewhere. Hmmmmm. :idea: Thanks for the idea... :cooldude:

3. Solarius

Solarius What's a Dremel?

Yeah, a stand would be more convenient if you ever decided to move it ( *cough HTPC cough* ), plus it will give you a chance to use more of those cool LEDs to make it glowy.. :D

4. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

Use a gradient map, and then crank the contrast to give the shiny effect. polished would be really hard though.

I'll do it when i get home tonight, (if i remember).

5. KrazyIvan

SO it would be below the case, PSU and everything?

I went to the hardware store today and looked at some L channel. Maybe thinking of constructing an acrylic box with the L channel edges. I am not sure yet. The PSU heat sinks are the non bendable type. They are some finned heat sinks so I am locked into the height of those fins plus clearance. That would make the box a minimum height of 4.25". I am still looking for ideas so any would be appreciated.

6. Fubar

Fubar What's a Dremel?

this picture rules.... you need to repaint it that color and make the acrylic bl000 it looks sweet

7. Solarius

Well. :) Buy a cheap thin 200w PSU? Sure you could get one for 10-15$'s since they come WITH a case for $30.

8. KrazyIvan

That kind of defeats the purpose of modding one. :eyebrow: :D

9. Solarius

I'm not saying don't mod the new one. Are you going to build the one you have from scratch? :hip:

10. KrazyIvan

Yeah, the power supply I have is devoid of it's case. Got rid of it a long time ago when it went into an AT case project a while back.

11. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looking very nice I like it.

12. KrazyIvan

Thanks! Appreciate the comment. :cooldude:

13. oninesm

oninesm What's a Dremel?

Out of curiosity, what did you do with the innards you pulled out of that webpal? A lot of folks are turning their actual webpals into a small Linux box for simple webservers, LAN storage & stuff.

14. KrazyIvan

I still have the guts in a box somewhere. I thought about the Linux box project. I tried hooking up a hard drive to the the IDE channel but could not get it to work. Maybe I'll try to work on it later.

You are from Las Cruces! Lived there for many years up until two years ago. :thumb:

15. oninesm

oninesm What's a Dremel?

You have to lift a pin on the IDE controller chip. http://www.stelioscellar.com/Webpal/Alex/ has some details and links to lots of sites with specifics.

Been here in Cruces for about 2 years now, probably moving on in another year or two. My wife is an El Paso native though, so the area does feel like home. She says it is hard to remember not to put Las Cruces down after so many years of practice while living in El Paso :)

16. KrazyIvan

Thanks for the info: I am in El Paso now :lol:. I am going through he exact opposite situation. :D

17. oninesm

oninesm What's a Dremel?

Wow, didn't realize you were that close. I'm down in El Paso every Friday to teach at UTEP. If you ever are looking to get rid of your leftovers just let me know :naughty:

The case looks great with the vinyl dye. When are you going to be finished?

18. KrazyIvan

Likewise and :naughty: right back at ya! Teaching at UTEP! Okay, I'm not going to say anything about that.... (you should really look at NMSU :D, oops, I said I was not going to say anything :duh: ).

I am running into a problem right now with the front face plate. I may have to remake another plate. When I did a test fit and screwed everything down the slimline drive got its outer frame bent because of the face plate pushing to hard on its underside. No major damage done. I was able to bend it back and it still works fine. Still it is a minor setback that has taken my attention from the PSU box. My whole point of this project was to have something ultra small that would not take up a lot of room on my desk. Soooo, I am going with my original plan of making a box that will remain hidden away behind my desk.

That was a long winded answer for: "I will probably finish the whole thing in a couple of weeks if everything goes as planned."

19. oninesm

oninesm What's a Dremel?

Oh, but I do teach at NMSU, and at NMSU-A up in Alamogordo. I feel like a regular traveling salesman with the number of campuses I teach on. At least I don't have to buy a parking pass for each one.

Sorry to hear about your setback with the face plate. Regardless, it looks 100% better than what I could have done. I carved out a cover plate on my beige box to install the inner workings of a micro 4-port usb hub, and the result is...well let's just say "functional", in a crooked, holes-are-too-big, epoxy-will-fill-that-in-(right?) way. I won't be bragging about it at a LAN party any time soon.

Best of luck as you rework and polish things off.

20. KrazyIvan

You must rake in a lot of miles on your vehicle. That was one of the reasons I moved to El Paso. The commute was killing me. 45 minutes isn't bad but now that I live 15 minutes from work it is much better. Saved on wear and tear on the car too.

Thanks for the comments and look for an update soon! :hip: