1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Gaming Rig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by weepete, 5 Jan 2019.

1. weepete

weepete What's a Dremel?

Toying with the idea of a new system this year, seeing as I keep on looking at it (and when I do that I normallyy end up with something ;)) so wanted to sound it out first if that's ok

Budget:
    Flexible, but lets say around £1000ish
    Main uses of intended build: Gaming (FPS and mainly online multiplayer, CS:GO is my main game but COD series, Battlefront, Battlefield Arma, Day-Z, Insurgeny etc) and photo editing (Lightroom and photoshop)
    Parts required: Motherboard, RAM, CPU, cooler
    Previous build information (list details of parts):
    To be replaced:
    AMD FX8320
    Silverstone Argon AR01 cooler
    Asus M5A97 Evo R2 Motherboard
    2×4GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mhz
    500W Corsair CX500M PSU

Reusing:
    Corsair Carbide 400C ITX Case
    BenQ XL2411X 144hz 1ms Monitor
    2x 1TB Seagate Barracudda 7200rpm HDDs
    1x 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
    Razer Blackwidow Mech Keyboard
    Razer Deathadder Gaming Mouse
    Steel Series Arctis 5 Headphones
    *Nvidia GTX970 Strix GFX card

Monitor resolution:
    1080p
    Storage requirements: Not required, I have enough external backup storage to keep what I need, wipe what's in my rig currently and do a clean install then transfer files back over. Mostly it's just photos.
    Will you be overclocking: yes
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): looking for 6 fans, plan is to put in 6 Noctua NF-S12A PWM Chromax fans (which would give me a whopping 186cfm max airflow) with some Phanteks Halos with a controller hub to RGB them up along with a lighting strip.
    Extra information about desired system: *I will be replacing the GFX card but want to replace the processor first and I'll budget seperately for that.

I don't need sound cards or speakers (I just use headphones), so noise is not a huge deal. I also occasionally stream to my TV downstairs through Steam link (mostly for single player campain mode stuff), but I don't do twitch or any of that kind of streaming. I'm also more interested in keeping my FPS above 144 in competitive CS:GO, particularly with the new battle royal game mode my rig suffers badly now.

I was thinking along the lines of https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fCQ8kd
    But wasn't sure if I'd be better off buying an i7 and a lower teir board or if my picks just seemed a bit daft! I also realise that the mobo is a z370 chipset and will require a Bios update to work with the 9600k, but I prefer the look of the x to the xi :oops:

Any opinions or advice appreciated, thanks!

2. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Zen 2 soon ;)

Ficky Pucker and weepete like this.
  3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Even with headphones, especially with headphones, having a Xonar DSX which is like £30 is going to make little difference to your overall budget but is going to make a NOTICEABLE improvement to the sound quality over onboard. I did this myself actually as a response to a driver issue I was having but when I noticed how much better the sound quality was, I wouldn't be without this again.

weepete likes this.
  4. weepete

weepete What's a Dremel?

Yeah? Fingers crossed then! But... knowing me it won't be soon, so I can always re-evaluate. But I'm skeptical, been waiting for AMD to catch up to intel and Nvidia for almost as long as I've been waiting for Canon to catch up to Nikon yet every year it's close but not quite, especially for my usage :rolleyes: ;)

5. weepete

weepete What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the advice mate, I'm sure I could squeeze that in at somepoint to try it out. I did have a sound card years ago that did make the sound a little better, though as long as I can get roughly directional sound in game that's me happy. I'm not so concerned with quailty and immersive experience as I am with pinpointing the direction enemy fire came from! ;)

Do you know if anyone does custom shrouds for them? I've a full side window on my case and if I'm putting over grand of cash in a box I'm also going to make it visible and pretty. Even if I'm the only one that sees it!

6. weepete

weepete What's a Dremel?

Ok, I could do a custom shroud myself.

Looks like I'll put in an RTX2060, the GTX1180 is the forerunner but $$$ dependant. I'd much rather trade framerate for reflections, really hoping nvidia release 1170 and 1160 models.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

weepete likes this.
  8. weepete

weepete What's a Dremel?

Thanks mate, that looks spot on!