1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Adventures in PSU modding

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ATi Loyalist, 11 Nov 2003.

1. ATi Loyalist

ATi Loyalist Who throws a shoe?!

here is my PSU, i didnt sleeve all the wires because you simply cant see them so it would be a waste of time and sleeving.

click here

2. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

After a while, since like most people, I am still on dialup, I got to see the second picture. Real nice looking. Sorry, but I just couldn't wait to see any of the others. The pics were only 640x480, but at 600+Kb per image, it would take a very long time to download them all.

Your camera should have come with some image editing software. Save the image directly out of the camera as a .tif file so you can edit it for size and quality. Keep the original image on a CD or stored on your HDD some place. When you're all done editing the .tif, save it as a .jpg file. You'll notice a file in those dimensions, which are excellent for posting on forums (actually, 600px wide or smaller is best), will only be 50Kb or less, in most cases (less than 1/10th the size they are now).

Thanks,

Grump

3. KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan What's a Dremel?

:lol: Grump: You need that "use smaller pics" emoticon from VH you are so famous for using. :thumb:

4. ATi Loyalist

im sorry, i almost always remeber to make my pics 56k freindly, i forgot for these though, let me photoshop them real quick.

update: should be ok now

Last edited: 11 Nov 2003
  5. Crass

Crass What's a Dremel?

Really good job there i must say !! Looks really good.

Just an idea, You ever considerd make it "glossy" ?

6. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

Oh yeah, much better. Good lookin' mod. I really like that fan grill too.

Grump

7. ATi Loyalist

i might clearcoat it if i dotn have anything else to do on a saturday, but if thats the case it wont happen anyime soon....

8. Bluebark

Bluebark What's a Dremel?

What kind of paint is it? Enamel?

9. ATi Loyalist

well, the black is high gloss enamel, then i let silver overspray fall onto the casing from about 3-4 feet up to give it the speckled look.

10. Bluebark

Ok...A suggestion. Take it apart and re-wetsand the painted surfaces flat with a used piece of 400. Spray one wet coat of you base (black) and let it set up until its tacky by touch. Then mist your silver metal flake over the pieces…not tooo much though. Cover an area with fresh news paper and place the pieces on the paper giving plenty of room around both pieces. Do this as quickly as possible. Take you clear coat (I like polyurethanes) and spray one light coat and let it set up ‘till tacky. This will help prevent sags and runs, then apply two wet coats letting each setup a little before the next. When you’re done the flake will look like its suspended in the clear coat…totally awesome.

Disclaimer…As with everything you do that’s new, try it first on a scrap piece of some that’s relative to the surface you will be spraying. Watch the pain and try to get a feel how it lays down. As the paint hits the surface notice how it flows out and melts into the previous coat.

Painters credo: Know thy paint.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2003
  11. Dazbo666

Dazbo666 What's a Dremel?

...sounds like the advice of experience, Bluebark??

Great idea !! :rock:

12. Bluebark

Over 15yrs. in the custom car/bike arena… :thumb:

13. ATi Loyalist

nice idea, ill try that, i did almost the exact same procedure, without the clearcoat, i wetsanded with 400 and 600 because i was bored, and then one coat of black followed almost immediately by silver over spray, but if i have time i will try it wih the clearcoat. :D

14. Bluebark

I would like to caution you in a common mistake I am seeing all the time in the forums…using too fine a grit sand paper. Sanding a painted surface for painting is known as “adding tooth”. Paint flows into the “teeth” of the sanded surface and melts into previous coat. If the “teeth” are too small (read fine) the paint has a hard time melting into the coat and will not adhere very well thereby causing it to flake or peel in the future. Very rarely will you ever need to go over 400 for any type of painting…The only time I ever used 600 to sand paint for painting was when I was doing multi-layer graphics or scroll work.

15. Visualaid

Visualaid What's a Dremel?

16. Bluebark

I read Linear tutorials and his methods are basically sound…but I stand by what I said. 1200 grit paper is used to prep a surface for buffing…I have never even touched a piece of 1400 grit in my life. If I needed to get that fine I’d use coarse rubbing compound and the only time I did that was for blends.

17. Alwayz Dead

Alwayz Dead What's a Dremel?

sorry to ride on the back of this thread (nice PSU mod btw) but do any of you well clued up paint peeps know where to get the Duplicolor Mirage range in the UK - if at all.

Cheers

18. Bluebark

Not form the UK…but Mirage is just a TM for Duplicolor’s flip-flop paint scheme. There are others out there…in case you can’t find Duplicolor.

19. Alwayz Dead

Alwayz Dead What's a Dremel?

Thanks for that Bluebark you'er a gent. :D
    I'll surf around a bit for flip flop as dulicolour and Mirage give little return.

20. madhatter

madhatter What's a Dremel?

i LOVE what you did with those molex connectors :rock: