1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards ITX Anonymous Club

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 11 Jun 2016.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Before I joined bit I was fully on the "watercooling is great, watercool all the things". After getting some more experience you really can't beat noctua. The only cooler I'll ever purchase is noctua and even when we're getting free stuff I always request noctua over the best AIOs I get offered. Most other products if i see something odd I'll most likely be able to see where they've cut costs and a better way of doing things. With noctua I can't, I have full faith everything is right. Marketing doesn't buy that.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

AIOs made us lazy.

If you were chasing performance for daily driver, a full custom loop was the way to go (unless you had the money for a chiller, but then you get into that whole sub-abient, dewpoint situation and the inside of your rig starts to look like a central heating installation).

Then you could just strap on an AIO and get 90% of the benefit for none of the hassle. Until those cheapo pump blocks started disintegrating. You know, I never had a pump fail on me in all the years I ran full loops? Probably because you can buy an AIO for less than the price of a decent pump.

Then you get to the more modern Core iterations that just didn't have the kind of heat density found in your older i7s, and you can get by with a decent HSF. So the AIO makers, desperate to stay relevant, have to turn up the volume... RG ****ing B, yay.

Then along comes Ryzen and twats Intel right in the nads and, before you know it, we're on the verge of a core count war.

Here comes the heat. Full loops will be back on the menu, alongside some ****ing hideously monstrous AIO efforts, in an effort to stay relevant.

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My current idea is a custom itx case made from acrylic with a new fancy ryzen 3rd gen processor i know are out in ____ along with either my current GPU or another one I can find with a noctua cooler. With the use of the riser I should be able to get a very small rig.

Arboreal likes this.
  4. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

That gap appears to be 4 underscores so June or July, then?

5. David

Could be Sept

meandmymouth likes this.
  6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

July is the rumour. Some even say 7/7 for 7nm but that's a Sunday so doubtful.

Mind you with recent BIOS update references to Valhalla who knows what it'll be called and when it will be released.

I'll be on the Zen2, perhaps ITX in my mATX case - not sure I can keep collecting cases as I keep downsizing :)

Arboreal likes this.
  7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I can sympathise there.... I currently have the following cases at home that are 'retired':
    Prototype Parvum ITX
    Silverstone SG13
    another nameless ITX case
    cut down mATX beige case, currently home to a FrankenPC that isn't getting finished any time soon

Fortunately, I have just repurposed my old Silverstone TJ08 into a gamer for a friend's son with a Haswell mATX kit cobbled together from stuff in stock, so that's one down...

I can't stop looking at upcoming SFF cases on SFF Network, as the in progress DanCase C4 SFX and NCase(?) SidearmD are both very intriguing at the just over 10 litres mark.

adidan likes this.
  8. adidan

I'm trying to work out what to do with the Antec P183 I have in the loft. I'm tempted to put a toilet in it and rent it out.

Arboreal likes this.
  9. David

I own one ATX compatible case - a 4U server case. I have two mATX cases - a Parvum and a TJ08-E.

ITX cases:
    Two EVGA Hadrons
    250D
    SG07
    IW-MS04
    Core 500
    Evolv shift

And my Ncase M1

I have a problem.

10. adidan

Yup, you best get that checked out.

David likes this.
  11. Arboreal

Two Hadrons can be OK, so long as they don't collide....

David, you haven't said how many of these case are in use, if they are that's not the same problem as having them hanging round retired.
    So, you do a bit of Silverstone too then? I can give up any time (apparently)... IIRC you bought an SG07 from me, so I can part with them when necessary

Cases currently in use at home:
    Silverstone SG05
    Silverstone SG06
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    HP mATX desktop tower
    NCase M1

adidan and David like this.
  12. David

The 250D isnt long for this life, unless it sells. Frikkin hateful, plasticky piece of trash, IMO.

Arboreal likes this.
  13. adidan

We need to have a talk about your selling tactics.

Arboreal likes this.
  14. Arboreal

You've been spoiled by all that aluminium in your M1! It's looking good in your pics. I must post mine sometime, having taken some passable photos first...

15. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Every day I flip between "I should definitely get an nCase M1" to "The Louqe Ghost S1 is much better".

Did any of you think about this comparison before? Any useful advice? Cheers.

16. David

I bounced between the M1 and the DA2, but the M1 won out on availability and being smaller. I think the Ghost is closer to the Dan A4 than the M1 on size?

17. Arboreal

My understanding is that the Ghost is smaller too. My concern is not the concept or design, but the fact that the funding and supply strategy has been so flakey and lacking in communication with customers.
    The Top Hat system may be a good idea, but for me it was potentially too fragile for a weekly trip to LAN night.

OK, so the M1 has been eclipsed in 'smallness' and maybe style, and although it's been out 7(?) years, it is still an outstanding product.

I had no intention of buying one, as I have been waiting for the glacially slow development of the Dan Case C4 SFX, but bought a fairly well used one here on the MP, as my SG13 wasn't doing what I wanted.
    The M1's quality is undeniable and it's a massively well thought out and compact design which has stood the test of time in a rapidly developing market without a major revision in it's overall design and features.
    /2p

Omnislip likes this.
  18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Aye, the M1 might not be the absolute smallest enclosure out there, but it packs a hell of a lot into its 12.6l :) In terms of style I actually think it looks really good, but of course that's very much a personal thing. My favourite thing about the M1 is how well-thought out it really is, there are just lots of little neat touches that make working with it a pleasure rather than a chore. And you can pack a lot of stuff into it.

Arboreal likes this.
  19. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

They were late (Kickstarter, so as expected), but as far as I am aware all that were slated to be delivered have been.
    While the build itself is on the backburner, the case itself is stiff enough even without the side panels slotted into the extrusion (the baseplate and the top platform being screwed in prevents the 'H' extrusion spine flexing).

Arboreal likes this.
  20. MLyons

Hadn't heard of this case. After having a look maybe I won't build it myself