Cooling tubing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bee2643, 10 Nov 2003.

1. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

right now im using vinyl tubing in my system and im going nuts...every few months i replace it because it kinks like crazy...EVERY bend theres a kink and im resulting to zap straps to hold them open...
    i used to have silicone tubing which did me wonderfully, i was wondering if anyone knew where to get some clear silicone tubing (in canada)..my other stuff is brken because i left it sitting on the window sil and the sun ate away at it and gave it some kind of rubber rot
    :waah:

2. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Tygon tubing is superb and hardly kinks at all. It's also completely clear.

3. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer What's a Dremel?

tygon is indeed the shiet. top of the line tubing as far as I know. Also ClearFlex is a cheaper alternative... not quite as high quality as it kinks a bit easier and is not quite as transparent.

4. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

Tygon eh...it doesnt look like it kinks either does it
    because i have a few kinks that arcent cutting the flow 100% but are still kinked..

5. ouija

How tight are you bending the tygon?
    Just looked at some of your pics. Your tubing is pretty untidy. I'm not criticising, but a tidy might help. I think the size of your case is also a factor. My CPU block is Swiftech which as angled connectors. That way, no hoses point directly to the side panel.

6. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

also.........what size are you looking at????

7. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

i dont use tygon
    thats vinyl in those pics
    theres really no other place to route the tubing either as its a small case

im looking at 1/2" (thats what my system uses

8. ouija

Oh you have vinyl tubing, I thought your water was cloudy...

9. coolmiester

Titch did a nice little article on UV dye and different types of hose over at TheModFarthers

One thing to remember about Tygon is that it doesn't let UV through so you may not get the final result your looking for.

However Danger Den hose is very similar to Tygon in all other respects i.e. flexability and feel but does let through UV and is also cheaper than Tygon :thumb:

see....................... :eeek:
    [​IMG]

10. Blackeagle

Blackeagle What's a Dremel?

Bee, there is another alternative you might wish to consider.

Use of soft copper line for gas, air conditioning & refrigeration is pretty routable when combined with hard copper fittings. Not quite so easy to work with as Tygon or other plexi lines, but offers slightly larger ID, with smaller OD at the same time. While it may not offer the UV decor option, it looks good if polished up to a nice shine, then sealed by a coating of a clear spray finish. You'll still need a small amount of Tygon to make the attachment form the copper lines to the blocks.

11. ouija

*cough*

[​IMG]
    Tygon tubing and UV dye

12. coolmiester

Well it certainly looks UV reactive to me................. :eeek:

Cheers for putting me right there ouija :thumb:

13. ouija

That review you linked to also showed all the tubing with UV dye. I think some allow more UV light through than others and that Tygon was in 2nd place to CodeFlex for UV usage.

14. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

hmm
    i like the green looks with DDen tubing
    i think ill try that out, thanks alot guys (again)

15. penski

penski BodMod

The only bad thing about tygon is that the body breaks it down in a couple of months :(

*n

16. ouija

You what?

17. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

I'm only guessing but I think he means - if you eat it or try upgrading your intestinal tract with it. :lol:

I think maybe what CM was referring to originally is that it is UV resistant, so it isn't discoloured by sunlight as much, rather than not letting the light through, but I'm not sure if that's where the idea's from.
    (I'd made a similar mistake myself in the past once.)

18. coolmiester

I had a visit from a guy called Alan Stephenson who is the sales manager for Saint-Gobain...........the company that make Tygon.

He was intrigued as to the application that I was suggesting for Tygon hose and was totally taken aback when he saw various set-ups around the office.

He asked if I would mind if he returned with a colleague and a photographer which he did a few days later.

On their return after chatting at some length his colleague (who's name eludes me at present) said that Tygon would be perfect in all other respects apart from not letting in or out any form of UV

From then I have always believed this to be the case and have used DD over Tygon for this reason.................I hate to think how many people I have advised wrongly over the months since :duh:

Quite obviously it does judging by oujas post and i can only apologise for my mistake!

19. ouija

Yea, when I was in desperate need of tube-end inserts I tried plumber warehouses all around town. Plumbers use speedfit (brand name) connectors but these are different from our normal pushfit ends. I ended up having to buy a hollow plastic rod and the amount of people that were completely shocked when I explained it was for watercooling a PC :lol: :p

20. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

yea, thats another good question
    because my vinyl tubing broke down my dye in a matter of weeks, and, i can already tell by looking at it (being 4 months) that the "broken down" substance is now in the form of a non-UV reactant gel lining the inside of my whole system (thin coating)
    and no, you wouldnt be wrong in thinking its a pain to clean out, because every time i do i have to take a pressure washer to the radiator and blocks, along with pipe cleaners...it does get rid ef it, only it takes be the better half of a day to do. :grr:

Tags: