1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education My primitive skills thread...

Discussion in 'General' started by KayinBlack, 9 Apr 2019.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

So many of you know that I practice primitive skills, I make all kinds of stuff, bows and arrows, knives and sheaths, pretty much all from scratch. And I mean from scratch. Today I made my own hide glue from rawhide scraps that I gathered from stretching rawhide for sheaths.

http://imgur.com/a/j1hUPAf
    [​IMG]

Hide glue is made by heating rawhide scraps in water to just below boiling. It took about three hours to make on the stove. This is step two, strain after hearing. This goes into the fridge to gel then will be cut into small pieces to dehydrate in the oven, or I can just put a fan on it and dry it. After it's dry, I grind it fine and store it someplace dry. When mixed with water and heated, it's the best glue for wood and bonds with leathers on the molecular level, being collagen.

This is the first step to making a knife sheath or a sinew backed bow, both projects I plan to put here. Knife sheath comes first, the way my Seminole ancestors (that's not that far back for me) made them.

The knife and sheath may go up for sale, depending on how you guys like it. I like building this stuff, there's always another in me.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2019
  2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

The link isn't working for me.

3. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Try it now. Works on my end (not that that means crap.)