1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Which wheel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 27 Apr 2019.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My son has really gotten into driving games, namely Forza 4 horizon at the moment but he plays a lot of others too.

He currently uses a cheap setup comprising of an original Xbox 360 wheel and pedals which is ok but not ideal, especially seeing as Forza 4 horizon doesn't support it (find that really odd seeing as it works fine with a 360 controller but not a 360 wheel which I would of thought is essentially the same thing).

So what wheels should he be looking at?

He's a college student with limited savings so it cant be massively expensive, he'd like a clutch pedal and shifter. He's been looking at the G27 and the G920 but is unsure on them as they each have their own faults.

Any ideas would be welcomed, thanks

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

A G29 (instead of a G27) would give you compatibility with XBox, PC and PS4 - the G27 isn't compatible with the PS4 - so it gives you all choices in future.

Definately the G29 over the G920 as well.

I don't know enough about other wheels to be able to comment on those.

3. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

4. veato

veato I should be working

G29 will work with PS4 and PC, G920 will work with Xbox and PC. I think they're the same wheel under the skin but the G29 had some RPM LEDs and an extra button or two. For value for money the Logitech wheels are great (G920 + Shifter is currently £179.99 on Amazon although has been as low as £150). I used to have a G27 and had loads of fun with it.

I now have a Thrustmaster TMX Pro (£189 at AO.com) and prefer it to the Logi but they both have pros and cons. TMX force feedback definitely feels better and is less clunky than the Logi but the wheel isn't as pretty/nice to hold and it doesn't come with a shifter - an expensive add-on!. Also the non-Pro version of the TMX has terrible pedals so avoid that.

5. veato

veato I should be working

Logitech G29/920 with shifter is £178.99 at Game right now. It also comes with a copy of Dirt Rally 2. Drop Dirt Rally 2 at CEX for £20 cash. Total cost = £158.99.

https://www.game.co.uk/en/-2586210

6. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I've been interested in a wheel for a while as well and looking at the G920 for PC/Xbox. How well do they attach to desks?

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I think the G920 is the same clamp as the G29 which works well on a normal thickness desk.

The biggest problem I find with my son's G29 & pedals is finding somewhere to put them when he is not using them in his small room.