1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Dell Latitude E6400 Keyboard Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by maple, 21 May 2019.

1. maple

maple Minimodder

So I have a Dell laptop it's a Latitude E6400 it was working great for years however suddenly the keyboard began playing up, with random keys stopping from working. There was no dust or anything on the keyboard itself it all looked pretty clean even underneath was clean.

Anyway I purchased a brand new keyboard and replaced it though with the replacement keyboard some keys worked and others didn't. I assumed this was a fault with the replacement keyboard so I contacted the seller who sent another replacement and the 2nd replacement is doing the exact same thing.

Though what's weird is if it's different keys on each keyboard so it's not the same keys that arn't working on each one. For example the letter A doesn't work on 1 whereas it works on the other two. Also another weird thing is that the current keyboard the 2nd replacement which is in at the moment works fine for a few minutes before the same keys stop working such as the v and enter keys for example.

So now I've tried a total of 3 different keyboards and neither are working correctly. I'm really pulling my hair out with this one! Any ideas before I purchase a whole new machine?

2. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

I had a load of wonky problems with my E6400's trackpad and keyboard, I just had to disconnect the ribbon cables and clean out the connections. Sadly, since you've replaced the keyboard, you've obviously already removed and reseated the cable multiple times... it might be worth seeing if it's clogged up with filth, though.

Just in case it's something really screwy with the actual machine / Windows, have you tried using a usb keyboard and if so does everything work perfectly then?

3. maple

maple Minimodder

The connector looks really clean surprisingly! I've tried a usb keyboard which works fine so it's the keyboard on the actual machine which is proving to be trouble.