1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Improving WiFi Signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lassar, 11 Jul 2019.

1. Lassar

Lassar Lean Mean Fighting Machine !

Hi everyone,

Just invested in some wireless cameras and looking to improve the WiFi at the back of the house.

Currently the wifi is distributed from the hub in the hallway as thats where the mastersocket is. I do however have the hub cabled to a 24 port switch upstairs. Ideally I would be looking to cable another access point directly from the switch into one of the upstairs rooms.

My current hub is a Plusnet Hub one which is renowned for having a crap wireless output.

Googling wireless access points brings up 100s of different reviews and therefore im looking to the community to reccomend a good access point to install.

Dual band is ideal but not 100% neccasary as the product im using operates on 2.4 ghz only.

Many thanks in advance.

Ric

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

If you're using hardwire backhaul, pretty much anything will work, but it's probably best to go dual band so other devices don't clog up the 2.4G band. I'm personally using 2x Ubiquiti Ap-Lite's to cover my house and yard and they work great.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If the budget can spring for it, getting a pair of dedicated APs (and turning the hub's WiFi off entirely) rather than using the hub plus an extender would be preferable. Even the most basic Unifi APs will handle devices roaming seamlessly between APs, and be a lot more stable than any ISP-supplied all-in-one box could hope to achieve. Older model but perfectly adequate Unifi APs go for peanuts on ebay (<£20 each if you're patient).