1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG l1710b

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonv, 16 Nov 2003.

1. jonv

jonv What's a Dremel?

Well I was happy with it but.......
    Doh, well after only 5 days of ownership its developed an annoying dead pixel..
    A nice red dot a bit off to the right of centre screen :sigh:

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Damn man, that's harsh, very harsh indeed. Take it back/get an RMA if possible - could've been something to do with transport damaging it...

3. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

You need atleast 2 dead pixels around the center of the screen before they will do anything about it.

Thats why I always recommend Samsung, never seen a dead pixel on one of those.

4. jonv

jonv What's a Dremel?

yeah, i don't hold out much hope, but will see what they say 2morro.
    But man its annoying... esp. on the background colours on this forum :wallbash:
    Why's it always me..... I knew I should of just gone with the cheap crt route...

5. Supercool

Supercool Gone.

I have... several infact :p
    Never seen a dead pixel on an LG though :)

6. sinizterguy

Samsung make far better LCDs ... better picture quality, looks, etc. Dead pixels, well all manufacturers have them and Samsungs have the least. They also have a better dead pixel policy than many other companies I think (not too sure on that).

7. jonv

jonv What's a Dremel?

Hmmm well got the expected refer to the manufacturer... they said 4 have to fail or 2 within 2cm of each other to get fixed (no doubt they'd send a refurb unit anyway).
    Its seems less noticable in win 98.. is it possible to change the boot up screen on win 2k? seems the windows logo turns on the red pixel that doesn't go out afterwards, at least then it might be less noticable..?

8. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

if ur willing to change models then just take it back under satisfactory rights, isn't that like 14 days returns or something?

dunno, just a suggestion.... :confused: :hehe:

9. Supercool

Supercool Gone.

[ot]And your proof for these statements is where...? :nono:

Dead pixel policies, not sure what samsung's is but last time I checked LG and iiyama are 2 unlit pixels or 2 permentally lit pixels on the center of the screen (not sure what they define center as though) or 4 unlit or 3 permentally lit pixels around the outer area of the screen. :)

Out of the 3 makes of TFT's I've used, in order of preference, I prefer: 1. LG 2. iiyama 3. samsung
    [/ot]

jonv - as someone else said, use the cooling off period to return it if it's bugging you so much and you don't mind loosing your postage fees (some companies offer 14 days others offer 28 days) then after they've refunded you, just buy another one :thumb:

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This is the biggest BS statement ever sorry :rolleyes:

I can assure you and so will several other LG users that LGs are AS GOOD AS Samsung in EVERY WAY. They even INCLUDE the DVI cable as standard and are usually CHEAPER and have a faster pixel responce.

Dead pixels are down to the retailer as well mind - Microdirect wont take it back until youve got at least 10, whatever the make.

11. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

You call for backup chief!?

I'm with Bindi on this one. I've got an LG L1710b(U) and it is quite simply awesome. I'd always had my eye on a Sammy TFT but after reading some reviews and speaking to a few people I went with the LG as it was cheaper ('bout £30) and it also included the DVI cable, which is about £10-£20 on its own anyway.

The screen quality is fantastic. Far better (imo) than any CRT I've used. So crisp, great colours, and bright. As good as any other TFT I've seen anywhere. The only slight gripe I have is that it doesn't pivot like the Sammys, but then, why would I want to. :lol:

:rock: LG

12. sinizterguy

This is going to be AMD vs Intel ....

The samsung TFTs I have seen have all been good and most of the LG ones, absolute crap. Maybe the new ones are better, but I am not going to put money on it.

You say LG is better, I say samsung, lets leave it at that cos you are not going to convert me. No need to start a flame war.

Peace. :D

13. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

I wasn't saying it was better simply that it is as good as any other TFT display I've seen/used.

You're the one saying the Sammys were better.

Bitch.

;) :p

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Never said better :p

15. sinizterguy

Ok, Point conceded :)