1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: PC-75 Styling

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ynema, 15 Nov 2003.

1. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

hmm how does a router work? Seems like it can do everything.. its a cutting tool right?

2. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

A router I just a rotating cutting blade (seen sticking out the bottem of the clear section in the pic I put up) which you sit on a material and adjust he height so you cut to the required depth then move around the design. Usually they are used for wood work (rounding the edges of a tabletop or cutting out indented sign writing, but if you have the correct blade you can cut soft metals.

3. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Routers are probably most often used in wood working to put a decorative edge on a piece of wood. You have a lot of different bits that can cut rounded edges, bevelled edges, etc. I've seen routers used to remove excess laminate from counter tops (Glue the laminate down and route around the counter top to remove the excess and leave a nice edge). The great thing about routers is that they leave a nice edge that doesn't require much clean up.

On my window, I used all dremel bits because 1) I don't have a router and 2) I was afraid a jigsaw would bend the aluminum. But the bits that I used on the dremel basically gave me the same effect as what a router would have.

ynema: that window looks really nice man! What kind of perspex/acrylic are you gonna put in there? Clear, tinted....colored? :naughty:

4. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Well i'm planning of heading into My local Plastics store/factory and finding that piece that just stands out. I think I'll be using Acrylic rather than Perspex because it's less likly to scratch.

But I'll let you know when I do.

Also the aluminium will only bend if you force the blade to hard and it jams into the metal.

5. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Latest Update on the Case Handle.
    I've been looking around the net for Stylish looking Handles I've found a few so far so I'll wait till tomorrow when all the stores are open and See if I can find anything I like.
    Heres the Latest VIZ model of a possible Design.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Jan 2004
  6. ATi Loyalist

ATi Loyalist Who throws a shoe?!

i like your front case door concept as well. i dont mean to hijack but, when mounting your handles will they be secured to just the top piece or the frame itself? i have the same case as you almost(pc-60)

7. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

I've seen this before, but where? I knew the render looked familiar. KustomPCs forums by any chance?

8. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Well I haven't talked about mounting the Handle Yet I will when I get there but I'll let you know that if I did just bolt a handle one top it'd bend the top of the case at least and possibly pull the bolts straight though so it'll most likely have a bracket underneith the top plate to spread the force out away from the handle.

No this is the only place I've put these renderings cept for Overclockers Australia.

9. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Ahh, very nice! I love pneumatic tools...I wish I had the money for them.....

Also, VERY nice cut! Loking forward to see more, as I am gonna be getting this same case for my first major mod.

10. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Hmm I'm sure it was on a case gallery website... and everyone was posting their links within a thread to be added to the site. I'm sure I saw your case lol

11. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Well I've only made up the 3D models in the last week or so and I don't remember putting it anywhere else (not saying I didn't). But if you do remember where you saw it let me know. There might be someone else out there with a great mind like mine :p .

Also a small Update Went to town today and look at some acrylic/perspex. Liking the blueish theme I checked out their different blues.
    Light blue see-through
    dark blue see-through
    blue solid
    I decided to go with the dark blue caause they had different thicknesses and the light blue looked to teal for my liking. and solid color wouln't work so well for a window now would it.
    and after looking around for handles I ended up walking out of the hardware store with 4 45mm hidden castors which I'll use to replace the feet of the case. (Broke one of the teeth off one of the feat yesterday when i was trying to clean up the inside of the case. Anyway I'll post some pictures when I get home later today.

12. Twinsen

Twinsen What's a Dremel?

Yea...I remember seeing a cose somewhat like this also...hm...can't remember which one :(

13. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Hmm reading through G-gnomes latest update has made me envious So I think it's time for a Quick Update then Stripping my computers guts out so I can work on the whole thing.
    [​IMG]
    So I've been to Town and Picked Up a few bit's.
    1. - the Round things with wheels in them are a set of four 45mm Hidden castor wheels which I'm going to use to replace the fragile feet of the Lian-Li PC75 (I broke one dammit) so Everything will have to come out of the case while I cut the holes for them.
    2. - The bunch of parts is a standard chrome Audio Glass Door Hinge and Magnetic Push Catch (for the Font Door).
    3. - The three sheets of lovely Brown Acrylic well actually dark blue Acrylic with lovely brown protective paper on it. It's not quite as dark as it seems in the photo but is darker than I was thinking. of using but because the lighter color didn't look right at all I went for this instead.
    Well time to rip out the contents of the case so I can begin work on it. Until next update Catchya

14. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Okay I've been working on installing the castor feet and other than screwing them into place they're pretty much done.
    [​IMG]
    don't you love those stylish painted plastic feet.

Castor feet installation.
    [​IMG]
    1. - First I removed everything from my case.
    2. - Then I had to cut 45mm holes to fit the feet into which luckely I had the correct size hole saw but because there was already a smaller hole in the same spot but too big for the guidance drill bit I had to use some ingenuity to solve this. I ended up clamping a piece of wood behind the drilling surface and drilled into that.
    3. - After drilling the holes and filing the burrs off and cleaning up with sand paper the castor's fitted nicely cept for the one near the motherboard tray and the two near the HDD rack stand. So getting out my souped up dremel (actually a Die Grinder) I cut away the infringing sections of the HDD rack and Mobo Tray
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And tested with the feet in place.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    4. - And now only need screwing into place.
    [​IMG]

Well tomorrow I'll start working on adding the acrylic to the Side window and maybe start the front panel.

15. Xpeccen

Xpeccen What's a Dremel?

Looking very good, eagerly watching for updates. :thumb:

16. HQ08-Modder

HQ08-Modder What's a Dremel?

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: Nice i guess, but where hte hell are the pics i can't see them :wallbash:

17. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Hmm somethings happened to my pictures hope my ISP isn't playing up again. Dammit somethings wrong with Westnet, the pictures are up but can't be seen for some reason will have to give them a call and query it. Until then please hold out hope and moderators don't delete this yet.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2003
  18. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

19. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

for me too, hope that come back soon :(

20. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

same.. send out the pic-a-medics ha ha ha ha no.. sorry :blush: