1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory help required

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ryu_ookami, 5 Sep 2019.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

I want to update my pc's memory if possible but i can't find out what the maximum supported memory is. I've installed cpu-z and take screenshots of what I think is the needed data but any help would be appreciated as its driving me crazy.

mobocpu.jpg memgfx.jpg

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Go to the SPD tab and you will see the XMP settings for different speeds. This shows what your currently install memory is capable of (without manually clocking it).

However, it won't telll you what speed RAM your motherboard is capable of, the OEM site should do that.

3. Ryu_ookami

upload_2019-9-5_17-47-19.png

all the slots say pretty much the same thing just different part numbers and serial numbers I can't find anything labelled XMP?

if I could actually work out the motherboard model that would be a great help but trying to track down an Acer Elena is a nightmare as it keeps throwing up loads of different results all with different motherboards some even claiming that my desktop is a laptop? (its not by the way)

Last edited: 5 Sep 2019
  4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

well according to ARK the CPU supports 32GB, what the board itself will play nice with... i couldn't say as Acer don't admit to ever making anything called the Elena.

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The JEDEC settings are what speed the RAM can run at (XMP is a more modern incarnation). You are currently running at JEDEC #4 setting in CPU-Z but your RAM is capable of 800MHz, assuming you can actually set it in the motherboard - some OEM boards don't allow frequency changes.

Regarding maximum RAM capacity, as others have said above it is something you need to find out from info about the motherboard and/or manufacturer, CPU-Z won't tell you the maqximum capacity of your m/b.

6. Ryu_ookami

k thanks guys looks like I'm going to have to take the case apart to find out

7. Ryu_ookami

I've bought myself a new system couldn't be bothered with the hassle of the one I currently have so I got

Motherboard: ASRock x99 Extreme4, 2011v3
    Socket CPU: Intel i7 5820k, 6 core, 3.6GHZ
    RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Ripjaws 4, DDR4-2666 - F4-2666C15Q-32GRKB, CL15-16-16-35
    CPU cooler and fan (coolermaster), I/O shield and SLI Bridge

from Ebay will be a major upgrade and its up-gradable in the future

8. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

unlikely, upgradeablity is more user than machine and you already demonstrated how much effort you are willing to put into that task

9. Ryu_ookami

One, I put in the effort and found out that the motherboard was maxed out memory wise so I searched for a new system that I would be happy with that was up-gradable in the future.

Thank you for your reply, I'm using the attempted flame from your reply to toast some marshmallows unfortunately the flame is so weak its not doing a very good job.

GeorgeK and adidan like this.