1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Slow running with high HDD activity

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ant1981, 24 Mar 2019.

1. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

Morning.

For a little while now my small form factor i3 3220 Windows 7 pc seems to run very slow with lots of hard drive activity.

No idea where to start on this one.

Here's a shot of the performance monitor

[​IMG]

Would I be right in thinking from the above, that the 4gb of ram is just not enough?

Thanks.

2. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Probably. You could manually set page files or better yet have a bigger one on a different disk and see if that helps. Also disk usage will tell you what is using it wont it?

3. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

I think it's a problem with FireFox. The 4gb of ram was completely spent, god knows on what, I'm only running a browser.

I have Chrome installed also, so I'm using that now and the computer is working fine.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Does Firefox still have that memory leak bug that seems to have been around for ever?

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not seeing it here on Linux, but then again this system has 16GB so it'd be less noticeable. I know in 67 (currently beta) it gained the ability to selectively unload older tabs when memory gets low, which could help matters.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Not that I know of. I think Firefox is generally relatively lean on memory use these days. I wonder whether it was an up to date, clean version of Firefox? Some addons can/could cause issues.

7. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

It was still having episodes of slow running, so I put another 8gb in and now have 12gb and at times the resource manager can show that over 7gb of physical memory is in use, but now it's running effortlessly with no issues.